+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does size matter?

I'm Craig.

Default Does size matter?

Would I hear an audible improvement if I used a 4 mm speaker cable, compared to a 2.5 mm one?
    Using between 1 and 3 metre runs.

Thanks!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Dennis.

In about '02 I went through several speaker cables, and ended up with Kimber 4TC and later 8TC. The latter, fatter, weirdly altered the sound, it losing clarity and top, and making the bass boosted and boomy. This was an anomalous effect IMO, and was costing hundreds of pounds.

Now I just use a good 2.5mm cable, and this is for 3m pairs.

I'm Andrew.

Ive always gone with big fat cables as things seem to improve when I listen to large cross sectional areas. Current cables have 10mm2 cross sectional area.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    Would I hear an audible improvement if I used a 4 mm speaker cable, compared to a 2.5 mm one?

Thanks!
    I have no idea if you will hear an improvement. I very much doubt it.
    I think there is more to it than just the CSA of a cable.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Thanks!
    In theory, no. You could run much longer lengths of 2.5mm with no attenuation.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Thanks!
    This article about cables is quite interesting and informative
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Craig.

To clarify, same brand and model of cable
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm BigBobJoylove.

i guess you're using Van Damme? If so, do try the terminated 6mm variant. Absolutely superb.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Gordon.

In principle, I would agree with most that cables shouldn't make any (or much) difference. However, in my experience they can and do make a difference on occasions, sometimes possibly due to the synergy involved with the rest of your system.

From experience, I would offer that upgrading invariably does little in the way of perceivable change and after a few days / weeks, you will be comfortable with the sound you are listening to. However, if you then substitute your previous cables back into the system the sound will be easily identified as inferior if the upgraded cables have achieved anything. Interestingly, I don't believe that SIZE actually matters.... just look at Audience / Mogami which are not only tiny in cross section, but also coaxial!

If possible try an upgrade set of cables and see how they sound, but don't reintroduce your old cables for a few days or a week. If then, you don't detect any difference when you revert the system to your old cable you have answered your own question.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Jo.

Default Size?

Essentially the claim from some manufaturers is that '...by using a thicker cable, you increase the dynamic range, and add (sic) detail and resolution to the sound you are carrying...'. I'm not sure my experience underwrites that assertion. Why stop at 4 mm or 6mm, when 12mm or 24mm will 'add' more to the dynamic range and to the detail and to the resolution?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast