+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goodmans Maxim Speakers

I'm Paul.

Default Goodmans Maxim Speakers

I have a pair of my father’s original Maxims with the alnico mid/bass drivers.
    Unfortunately one shows clear signs of distortion with increasing volume.
    Does anybody have experience of how to dismantle these? I have failed at the first hurdle trying to extract the front baffle.
    Paul

I'm Martin.

Hi Paul, I am assuming that you have the model where the drivers mount onto the rear of the baffle, hence the query. I suspect that the baffle backing may have stuck to the cabinet over time. You will need to remove all eight screws - refer to the photo in the link below.

Maybe gently opening a small anchor bolt into the screw hole will provide enough grip for you to be able to pull the baffle away or glue in some dowel and drill out after - just suggestions though!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120640...115/galleries/

All the best Martin

I'm Paul.

Thanks Martin, I’ll have another gentle attempt after I’ve had a look at one of my ESI UniK 08 speakers that went bang last night.
    Paul

I'm Paul.

Success. I managed to get a wide scrapper between the edge of the baffle plate and the side of the cabinet, this was sufficient to get some initial movement.
    Unfortunately it turns out these are a slightly later M Range pair without the alnico magnets and the main driver in this one appears to be done for. I can’t get a steady resistance reading, curiously it jumps around from 5 to 30 ohms with the occasional moments at 12.5 ohms.
    So, sell for spares or repair or seek a repair before selling and if so who could repair one of these drivers?
    Paul

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by paul(555) View Post
    Success. I managed to get a wide scrapper between the edge of the baffle plate and the side of the cabinet, this was sufficient to get some initial movement.
    Unfortunately it turns out these are a slightly later M Range pair without the alnico magnets and the main driver in this one appears to be done for. I can’t get a steady resistance reading, curiously it jumps around from 5 to 30 ohms with the occasional moments at 12.5 ohms.
    So, sell for spares or repair or seek a repair before selling and if so who could repair one of these drivers?
    Paul, did you isolate the driver from the network circuit before you took a reading?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

Hi Paul, glad to hear you have freed the baffle. The original M Range speakers can sound very good. My Minister and Magisters are to be offered for sale soon. Sold my last three pairs of Dim 8 to the same chap close to you around 18 months back. M

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Paul, did you isolate the driver from the network circuit before you took a reading?
    Ah, I didn't so I'll try again, thanks.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Paul

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanthecat View Post
    Hi Paul, glad to hear you have freed the baffle. The original M Range speakers can sound very good. My Minister and Magisters are to be offered for sale soon. Sold my last three pairs of Dim 8 to the same chap close to you around 18 months back. M
    What does someone do with 3 pairs of Dimension 8s??

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Enter the 24th dimension?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What does someone do with 3 pairs of Dimension 8s??

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    He had two daughters from memory. No excuses for why I had three pairs though I did stack two pairs for a while as an experiment - inverted one on the other.

+ Reply to Thread