+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving on (and down) from a 401 and Sondek- ideas wanted.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vinyl Adventure View Post
    I have a mint Pioneer PL12D if you are interested.
    I like those. They sound decent, are very simple, never go wrong and parts are easy to find.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    Really? With an arm? I'd like that. I might put out a "WTB" then. Maybe a JVC QL-A7 might fit the bill...?
    Good luck with your 401 progress, Mike, I have mixed feelings about having moved mine on... I'd be interested how you compare a 401 with a 1200/1210 assuming you've had one?
    Still haven't plinthed my 401! Taking my time over hifi now, don't move stuff on so quickly. I have a 1200 gr which functionally anyway I love, it sounds pretty good too. You will get a 1200/10 with arm for 350, but it might not be in the best cosmetic condition.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Kenji.

I am a starving orchestral musician , so I have to acquire gear on the cheap.

I have been VERY happy with a Mission 775S and Grace G-707 arm. Both still available for bargain prices (I paid Canadian $ equivalent to 100 quid for the table and arm each).

Good luck finding a nice vinyl player!

I'm Adrian.

If you can push to £449 then the Project Debut Carbon EVO is a very hard to beat new TT and comes with Ortofon 2M Red, HiFi News have just reviewed it and their closing statement is "While the Project Debut EVO is entry to mid level its performance through a system 200x its price revealed it to be punching w-a-a-y above its weight,...... recommended unreservedly"

Yes more money but new with warranty and new cartridge you'd have pieces mind, should last you at least 5 years or until you decide to move back on up.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    If you can push to £449 then the Project Debut Carbon EVO is a very hard to beat new TT and comes with Ortofon 2M Red, HiFi News have just reviewed it and their closing statement is "While the Project Debut EVO is entry to mid level its performance through a system 200x its price revealed it to be punching w-a-a-y above its weight,...... recommended unreservedly"

Yes more money but new with warranty and new cartridge you'd have pieces mind, should last you at least 5 years or until you decide to move back on up.
    Good suggestion, and I did consider the Carbon EVO, but I can't push my budget and I still have a hankering after a direct drive. Plus I resent paying the tax man £75 vat on money I've already paid 20% income tax

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Fuse View Post
    I am a starving orchestral musician , so I have to acquire gear on the cheap.

I have been VERY happy with a Mission 775S and Grace G-707 arm. Both still available for bargain prices (I paid Canadian $ equivalent to 100 quid for the table and arm each).

Good luck finding a nice vinyl player!
    Excellent value, Kenji!

I'm Gordon.

Sandy, there's a host of DD turntable on ebay just now. Bound to be something there that fits the bill....?

Just a thought if you haven't already looked.

G.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Sandy, there's a host of DD turntable on ebay just now. Bound to be something there that fits the bill....?

Just a thought if you haven't already looked.

G.
    I just missed a SL150 no arm, forgot to set a reminder to bid. It went for £95 plus postage....

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    I just missed a SL150 no arm, forgot to set a reminder to bid. It went for £95 plus postage....
    . . Oh no...!!!!!
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm paul.

Sell that primare, probably makes the lights dim when you turn it on and adding to your leccy bill. Get a Sony receiver, have a decent mm phonostage built in and a jvc direct drive tt for next to nothing. You’ll be surprised how good it would all sound and it won’t cost much and get your money back when things pick up.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast