+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving on (and down) from a 401 and Sondek- ideas wanted.

I'm Sandy.

Default Moving on (and down) from a 401 and Sondek- ideas wanted.

I've just sold my Garrard 401 and will soon try to sell my old LP12/PU3 (plus other kit) I am looking for recommendations on where to go next based on the following criteria:

1. Having lost full time employment a while ago, I can no longer sit with expensive kit when we need cars/house/domestic stuff repaired or replaced. So I need to downside/downgrade and realise some cash.

2. I no longer have time to listen to vinyl as much as I used to, but still want the option, plus my daughter has her own records now.

3. Looking to spend around £350ish on a decent second hand deck with arm. I will likely keep my Goldring 1022GX. Since I am planning to sell my Naim amps and use my second system Primare integrated amp I will need a phono amp as it doesn't have an input.

Thank you.
    Last edited by kirstysdad; 04-12-2020 at 15:15.

I'm Don.

A decent Lenco L75 should make you wonder why you bothered with the LP12 in the first place!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Or a Toshiba SR-370, which can sound astonishingly good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    A decent Lenco L75 should make you wonder why you bothered with the LP12 in the first place!

Thanks Don, Having "done" the idler thing with the 401 I think I'm heading more in the direct drive Japanese route, but appreciate the idea, did fancy one once...

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Or a Toshiba SR-370, which can sound astonishingly good.
    Now, Geoff, that's interesting. I've travelled the "old idler" and the classic British (Scottish) "elastic band" routes, and fancy a Japanese DD. Pity the Techies are so expensive... The Toshibas don't seem to be that numerous, sadly. The idea of not having to fettle too often also appeals...

I'm Mike.

You'll get an average 1200/10 for £350.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    You'll get an average 1200/10 for £350.
    Really? With an arm? I'd like that. I might put out a "WTB" then. Maybe a JVC QL-A7 might fit the bill...?
    Good luck with your 401 progress, Mike, I have mixed feelings about having moved mine on... I'd be interested how you compare a 401 with a 1200/1210 assuming you've had one?

I'm Don.

JVC QL-7 recommended!
    Has one of the finest DD motors money can buy! And not a lot of people know that....

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    The Toshibas don't seem to be that numerous, sadly.
    The SR-370 has been popular on the forum. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody here has one they'd sell. It's a pretty hefty unit and weighs half as much again as a Techie.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

I have a mint Pioneer PL12D if you are interested.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast