+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTD - Primaluna Prologue or Evo

I'm Steve.

Great amp that Rich, i had one years ago and bitterly regret selling it. Have his hand off.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Yes, with very little else going on at the moment the expense and inconvenience seems appealing.
    Excellent, looks like a good move as I hear the Primaluna amps amps are very good indeed. Enjoy!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

As a transition into using valve amps, I dont think you could have chosen anything better. Fuss free, reliable and not too much of a swing away from the power and good bits that come from using solid state amplification. Enjoy ��
    Oh and deal with Tim with confidence. A very genuine chap who is a pleasure to deal with.

I'm Rich.

Anyone making a journey from Manchester to the North East? Need to call upon the AoS taxi. Happy to cover expenses and contribution for the driver.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Ken.

Thanks guys.. the Schiit Freya + is also on my list id like to try. Did you get get one Ken?
    Hi Rich, sorry for not replying, I just noticed your question.

Yes, I got the Freya+, had to order a UK spec version off their USA website.
    I see Schiit UK have them back in stock now, after an absence of nearly a year.

It is everything I could want from a Pre Amp and my keeper.
    Two balanced and Three SE inputs.
    One Balanced and Two SE outputs, which are active simultaneously, handy for Bi Amping and/or adding a Sub.
    Choice of Passive, JFET Buffer with gain of 1 (0dB), or Valve with gain of 4 (+12dB) operation.
    Relay-switched 128 step attenuator.
    Very quite in use, not just for a valve Pre, comparable with good solid state.

Valve mode sounds best in my set up and this level of gain suits my other gear. I use JFET mode when running other gear in, to reduce the valve hours, which is handy. Note in JFET and Valve mode it converts Balanced to SE and vice versa so you could use a SE phono stage and output Balanced to a power Amp for instance.

It sounds fantastic, the stock valves are pretty good, but you can tweak the sound by rolling different 6SN7 valves. I acquired a pair of 1943 US Signal Core issue, Ken-Rad VT231 from Malaysia and use them in the output. These have the reputation of being King of Bass for 6SN7's and don't disappoint.

If you want a feature rich valve Pre, there is not much to touch it, anywhere near the price.

I'm Rich.

Have just took the plunge on an ex demo Evo 100. Now sorted. Thanks guys.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Dave.

Thanks for that but its an integrated I'm looking for.
    I have just listed a new Evo 400 at £3475.

I'm Ken.

Have just took the plunge on an ex demo Evo 100. Now sorted. Thanks guys.
    How do you like the EVO 100 Rich?

I just pulled the trigger on a NOS Prologue 4 (Power Amp) to run my Mids/Twts but it wont arrive till next week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123