+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Precious moment

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Well that depends whether you want a "live" area where your system is sited, or less live by using sound absorbing stuff. The suggested way is to have a less live area where the speakers are, than where you sit to listen. That is the way I have mine, but others may prefer something different.
    I always thought it was recommended to situate the speakers at the 'live' end of the room, and the listener(s) at a relatively dead end. That's the way I have mine.
    Barry

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I always thought it was recommended to situate the speakers at the 'live' end of the room, and the listener(s) at a relatively dead end. That's the way I have mine.
    Oh God, you mean all the box swapping was for nothing

Well, I suppose it may depend not only on the room, but on your taste. It works for me.

https://www.russandrews.com/understa...lutter-echoes/

"In your listening seat you hear sound from two sources. You hear the direct sound from the speakers first, followed by the reflected sound from the floor, ceiling and walls. The strength of the reflections and the time delay after the direct sound govern the 'spaciousness' of the room sound. This room sound overlays the recorded acoustic and so must be very carefully controlled. It is all too easy to overdamp a room and produce a closed-in claustrophobic sound.

You can avoid this pitfall by being very selective about the placement of absorbers and by creating a relatively 'dead' end where the speakers stand and a relatively 'live' end where you sit; though strong reflections from the walls near your seat are very distracting and uncomfortable. If the speaker end is 'live', and you sit in the 'dead' end, the sound is too distant and echoing. If the speaker end is 'dead' you hear a more forward direct sound with the room acoustic added - a much more natural and satisfying sound. Of course, this only applies to a two-channel system."
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

Speakers at live end and listen at the dead end usually works although it is going to vary depending on taste, room and the directivity of the speakers. No one size is going to fit all.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

How do I know which is the live end? (why do I get the feeling this is all pointless).
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Chris.

With any given room you need to reduce the potential for sound directly reflecting off other surfaces. Sound reflection then is changing
    the ability of your loudspeakers design, and the audio it can reproduce. As far as i know the reference to the live end is where such reflections may occur, whereas the
    dead end is the opposite, possibly going too far to where sound cannot radiate properly.

If we look at the design of a dome midrange and dome tweeter we can see, great effort so sound gets dispersed evenly even at extreme angles, similarly having
    minimal reflections in your room assists sound to be dispersed properly. I hope that helps

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    How do I know which is the live end? (why do I get the feeling this is all pointless).
    The end with the loudspeakers should be live so no clutter, no furniture etc and the end where you sit to listen should be heavily damped.

That's just one school of thought on the matter though. Some say you should heavily damp the whole room including ceiling. Others say just keep it a natural balance.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Veiko.

Just today I had the pleasure of laying down this thick rug. It should help.
    Also on another picture, I have made this wooden panel, I would set it up
    behind me. It took me many days, but the WAF is very low at the moment.

As for speakers, I like them a lot. Still to early to try and say something negative about them.
    They definitely are a big step forward from Heco Victa 702 floorstanders, which I had before,
    and actually sold to compatriot just today. So a very busy day!

IMG_20201205_193912.jpg

IMG_20201205_193757.jpg

The reason I keep the grills on is that my dog practices a sport, where he throws his chewing bone around.
    It is a very big conflict of our precious hobbies .

IMG_20201205_205100_4.jpg
    Last edited by Sansiiro; 05-12-2020 at 19:01.

I'm Martin.

Looks like you have the speakers toed in a bit, try them aimed straight ahead instead of at you, will make them sound less bright and forward.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Looks like you have the speakers toed in a bit, try them aimed straight ahead instead of at you, will make them sound less bright and forward.
    great advice
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

some nice B&w arrived today , 607s2 anniversary . not quite as big as the 603 !! certainly not forward and BIG sounding . look lovely i think in oak vinyl wrap

P1070344 by , on Flickr

P1070345 by , on Flickr
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread