+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Precious moment

I'm Veiko.

Default A Precious moment

Since past weekend, I have completed a full circle on system-upgrades.
    The whole system downstairs now has cost me 4000 euros,
    although also considering the bedroom system, gear that I have replaced, unused cables,
    many tweaks and headphones, the expenses in the last three years, after I started this hobbie,
    reach up to 6600 euros.

Yes, at this current moment I feel, that it is probably a good place to stop.
    While conceding that often after acquiring a component there has been a pinch of disappointment, it may well have stemmed from unrealistic expectations or unsufficient surrounds. It is true, that the sq at disposal now is superior to what it was while using the old amp and speakers given me by my father and given that I now have two systems and more knowledge, I don’t feel like I have spent TOO much during these three years, even if it is my half-years pay. I feel no regrets. Good sound is a beautiful thing.

If it might not be a full-stop for me, it certainly will be a long intermediate one.
    My last acqusition was a pair of speakers, Bowers & Wilkins 603. What I have found true, is that rarely does one component trash the previous one completely, as its price might suggest. While many things might be better with the new acqusition, there also probably will be something in which you lose. It could also be measured only by your preference.
    I use Ares II DAC, Pro-Ject preamp and XTZ EDGE A2-300 amplification with these and my assessment at the moment is definitely incomplete. For one thing, a period of burn-in is order, and that also for myself.
    And then there is this constant suspicion that I should perhaps reorganize some furniture...

What I feel now, must be no surprise to anyone: these speakers are bright and forward, some (hissing) vocals can be sharp and tiring. In a way, these speakers attack me, and I feel I need more distance. Of course, this I expected and have no problem with. What I will have a problem with is too early to tell. What I definitely have no problem with, is the clearness, detail, glitter, vigor.

The time of the chase must be over now, I feel I have it quite well balanced out.
    It truly is a precious moment. A moment to relax and listen to some music.

I'm Rob.

It's good to go on a journey, but where hifi and sound is concerned do you ever arrive? I have visited some lovely places in the world and some not so nice. Others may have had the opposite opinion to me?

I have found that the room your kit is installed in has the biggest influence over sound quality. Moving the speakers around would be a good start to see if you can tame them. Acoustic treatments would probably be your best best. These do not have to be expensive.

What size is the room? (HxWxD) what is in the room and what is the construction of walls, ceiling and what floor material. Are you limited as to where you can place the equipment and speakers?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansiiro View Post
    What I feel now, must be no surprise to anyone: these speakers are bright and forward, some (hissing) vocals can be sharp and tiring. In a way, these speakers attack me, and I feel I need more distance. Of course, this I expected and have no problem with. What I will have a problem with is too early to tell. What I definitely have no problem with, is the clearness, detail, glitter, vigor.
    That's what you get with B&W speakers, they tend to be revealing. Some like this and some don't. I like hearing every bit of information in a recording, but I do want it presented in a benevolent manner.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Veiko.

I think also some tweaking with the room might be good.
    But it's quite a handfull. Take a look!

I have concrete floor with parquet, concrete walls and concrete ceiling.
    I have added extra wooden wall though, before I even thought of audio.
    It is brown on the pic. The speakers are yellow. Room has 61.5 m2 of size.

And I can say - if I execute a bright sharp shout in that room,
    it definately lingers for a short moment.

I guess I could move speakers, but due to this rooms shape, there are not many
    logical options.

I would like to hear suggestions, of course!

manni 22-korrus 1.jpg

I'm Veiko.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's what you get with B&W speakers, they tend to be revealing. Some like this and some don't. I like hearing every bit of information in a recording, but I do want it presented in a benevolent manner.

That is true. Since I had few "easy-going" speakers already, I knowingly went for this "forwardness".
    They are not to watch TV that much, I do that in another room.
    To get more of that benevolent attitude on the side, might be too costly at the moment though

I'm Phil.

i am just awaiting some of the new b&w 607 s2 anniversary . i do love B&w i have never found any of them forward , had a good many pairs over the years ranging from the 800 to the 600 series

this new 607 comes in oak finish [ wrap]

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/...nniversary/607
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansiiro View Post
    I think also some tweaking with the room might be good.
    But it's quite a handfull. Take a look!

I have concrete floor with parquet, concrete walls and concrete ceiling.
    I have added extra wooden wall though, before I even thought of audio.
    It is brown on the pic. The speakers are yellow. Room has 61.5 m2 of size.

And I can say - if I execute a bright sharp shout in that room,
    it definately lingers for a short moment.

I guess I could move speakers, but due to this rooms shape, there are not many
    logical options.

I would like to hear suggestions, of course!

manni 22-korrus 1.jpg
    Have you tried the "clap" test? Go around the room clapping your hands and see how much echo your claps have. Do you have any rugs on the floors? Are there any wall units or other stuff to break up the sound in the room?

I'm Steve.

If you're getting "flutter echoes" you need to get some soft stuff on the walls, floor, even ceiling - wall-hanging rugs, curtains, anything that will absorb the high frequencies and stop them bouncing around.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Have you tried the "clap" test? Go around the room clapping your hands and see how much echo your claps have. Do you have any rugs on the floors? Are there any wall units or other stuff to break up the sound in the room?
    So if claps echo, is that good or bad?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    So if claps echo, is that good or bad?
    Well that depends whether you want a "live" area where your system is sited, or less live by using sound absorbing stuff. The suggested way is to have a less live area where the speakers are, than where you sit to listen. That is the way I have mine, but others may prefer something different.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast