+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUT for Denon DL-103R.

I'm Horacio.

Default SUT for Denon DL-103R.

Hi Chaps,

I am looking for the "perfect" SUT for my Denon DL-103R.

My preamp - Uesugi U-BROS-1 - has three phono inputs 1 and 2 are standard, input 3 is high level. Phono 1 and 2: 47.9K; phono 3 High: 49.2 K.

The 103R has a 14 Ohm internal impedance.

I think that the ideal step-up ratio would be around 1:15.

Cheers,

Horacio
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I am looking for the "perfect" SUT for my Denon DL-103R.

My preamp - Uesugi U-BROS-1 - has three phono inputs 1 and 2 are standard, input 3 is high level. Phono 1 and 2: 47.9K; phono 3 High: 49.2 K.

The 103R has a 14 Ohm internal impedance.

I think that the ideal step-up ratio would be around 1:15.

Cheers,

Horacio
    Well, there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ step up transformer, or any other transformer for that matter.

Anyhow, a Lundahl LL1931.

http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/upl...heets/1931.pdf

Or a Lundahl LL1933.

http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/upl...heets/1933.pdf

Either of these wired at 1:16 would do the job very well.

The Denon’s internal impedance of 14 ohms would work well into 10 to 20 times the cartridges impedance, so somewhere between 140 to 280 ohms.

The Lundahl transformers at 1:16 would give a reflected load impedance of 183 ohms into the 47k input of your phono preamp, or 192 ohms into the high level 49k input.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Horacio,

Follow the discussion I had here [from this point onwards] with Paulie about an SUT for his 103 Pro: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...18#post1236118

The 103R shares similar characteristics, and so would similarly shine with said Highphonic... Just Google for 'Highphonic SUTs', they're all VERY good and would match well with your Denon

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Horacio.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the link. I think that the chap is referring to the Auditorium A23 for the Denon. http://www.auditorium-23.de/Accessor...nsformers.html

In the meantime, I came along this Audionote AN-S2 H MC Step up Transformer-Mint condition in Wallasey, it is not cheap but someone mentioned that the 103R should work well enough with the H and be marginal with the L.

From Audio Note:

The AN-S2 is a passive device, designed to convert the mainly current output of your Moving Coil cartridge (MC) to a higher voltage, low current signal of sufficient strength to allow a Moving Magnet (MM) phono stage to amplify it to a suitable level. The internal transformers used in the AN-S2 are manufactured by Audio Note (UK) exclusively, use the very best core materials and winding technology available at the price, and are housed in mumetal screening canisters to minimise noise and interference.

The AN-S2 can be supplied in two versions; the AN-S2/L (low impedance) and the AN-S2/H (high impedance). The ‘L’ version has a switchable input impedance of 3 Ohms and 12 Ohms; the ‘H’ version, 15 Ohms and 60 Ohms.
    The 3 Ohm input of the ‘L’ version has been primarily designed to partner the Audio Note IO Moving Coil cartridges, and the 12 Ohm input is intended to be used with cartridges with an internal impedance of around 3 to 4 Ohms.
    The 15 Ohm input of the ‘H’ version is designed to partner cartridges with an internal impedance of around 4 to 5 Ohms; the 60 Ohm input is designed for cartridges with internal impedance in the region of 15 to 20 Ohms.

It is possible to use our transformers with cartridges that have greater internal impedances, or values that are outside the preferred ranges of the switchable inputs, however, it is important to realise that an input impedance in the region of three to four times the internal impedance of your cartridge will usually provide the best results.

Technical Specifications

INPUT IMPEDANCE: see text above

OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 47K Ohm

CHANNEL BALANCE: +/-0.3dB

INTERNAL WIRING: 99.99% pure Copper

Cheers,

Horacio

I'm Horacio.

Audionote AN-S2 H MC Step up Transformer-Mint, he won't ship to the states, next. I'll keep looking for a Highphonic HP-T5 [sold on ebay last week for $599] or an Auditorium A23, [US Audiomart sold last October for $800].

Cheers,

Horacio

I'm Syed.

I have a Denon AU-103 Step Up Transformer lying around somewhere.

These were once sold with the 103R as part of a package by Denon in Japan only.

https://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/12-693...-00.html?LNG=E

I'm Horacio.

Hi,

How much are you asking for it?

Cheers,

Horacio

I'm Horacio.

Hi Syed,

How much are you asking for it?

Cheers,

Horacio

I'm Syed.

Hi Horatio,

Let me check on that. I know I still have it packed away somewhere.

I'll get back to you sometime tomorrow.

Cheers

Syed

I'm Syed.

This has got me digging around for information now!

I was using this (AU-103) with a Lehmann Black Cube SE Phono Stage about 10 or so years ago on a Technics SP10 using an SME V tonearm

Here is some info from the Denon Museum.....

https://www.denon.jp/ja-jp/museum/products/au103.html

I'll post up any further info I have.

Syed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast