+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD: Rogers LS5/9 Speakers

I'm Don.

Default WTD: Rogers LS5/9 Speakers

Didn't have much luck finding a pair of MA 4's MK2 so I've upped the ante, and now looking for a pair of Rogers LS5/9's: Not Grahams ...

Are there any knocking about around here?
    Tell me what you have...LS5/9 wise

I'm Dennis.

Of all the BBC originated speakers I think the LS 3/6 was the best, the 5/9 and 5/8 were flawed, but Harbeth bettered the 5/9 with his work. Maybe one of his second hand. I haven't a clue what the Graham rebirth is about.

I'm Don.

Good point Dennis on the LS3/6, although I do have a pair of BC1's, I could be heading for duplication?
    I basically want the midrange magic of the LS3/5a with some bass thrown in = LS5/9 ...thanks for the input...

I'm Robert.

I have the original bbc ls5/9 not the modem one, a pair although not matching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Don.

Pm'd

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Of all the BBC originated speakers I think the LS 3/6 was the best, the 5/9 and 5/8 were flawed, but Harbeth bettered the 5/9 with his work. Maybe one of his second hand. I haven't a clue what the Graham rebirth is about.

The BBC designed for THEMSELVES, knew what they wanted and the5/8 and 5/9 were NOT flawed in quite the way you put it. They're positively neutral compared to your average Pro-Ac, PMC (both with very deep crossover suckouts of several db in some cases) or smaller US models with a 'batman' response curve (boom, shriek and fizz). The 5/9 does need careful positioning though (what monitor doesn't) and can sound tubby too close to the wall (the response shape) or stark if pulled too far out. Get them right though and they sound really good, the clarity and deep soundfield making long term listening very pleasurable (these were often used in editing suites as my pair were, so an aggressive up-front 'monitor' balance isn't something a producer would want).

I'm selling my Rogers 5/9's if you're interested. there are several on eBay in various states of disrepair and condition (many were mounted on brackets with screw holes in the cabs and so on), where this pair are pretty much perfect with good corners and nothing on the black ash cabs a bloody good polish wouldn't sort! Drive units and cabinets match and imaging is fine.

PM if interested. They're on the bay with Graham sourced 5/9 boxes too so can be safely sent. Trying to get better pics posted and price is negotiable to a degree...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dennis.

You say; "the5/8 and 5/9 were NOT flawed in quite the way you put it"

I have not stated any particular way in which I consider them to be flawed, so why do you say "in quite the way you put it"?

It is generally accepted that in both cases the developed prototypes were very good, but in production something went awry and the frequency responses became non uniform, the reasons not determinable. Some BBC designs also had a droop at the Xover point, and there was also the quandary about whether or not the Gundry dip was deliberate or not, with theories about close monitoring necessitating it to ameliorate fatigue.

I'm Steve.

As a serious loudspeaker man, The Rogers LS5/9 was a good design, but really just a typical 8" polycone plus tweeter design.

https://www.markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/ls59.htm

This Wilmslow Audio design ticks most of the same boxes:

https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/sm10...tor-1880-p.asp

It's not cheap at near £1000.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Good point Dennis on the LS3/6, although I do have a pair of BC1's, I could be heading for duplication?
    I basically want the midrange magic of the LS3/5a with some bass thrown in = LS5/9 ...thanks for the input...
    The pair DSJR has for sale are a proper pair and in excellent condition.

I'm Don.

I'll have a look...but could be out of my budget...we'll see....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast