+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT HomeHub 6 power supply

I'm Richard.

Default BT HomeHub 6 power supply

Hi, Just upgraded my router to the Bt Halo. It comes, as usual with a switching PS.

My questions are: 1. Would I notice a difference in upgrading to a Linear PS? (From what I've read - the answer is 'yes').

and

2. Which cheapie LPS would anyone advise? (I'd be using it with a Rpi/Allo combination - and Apple airport express). I have some of the Ebay/Chinese LPS driving other units and found them OK) but wondered about 'benefits-for-bucks'. Are there units that can smooth the 12V SMPS output? (I realise that these may not not stop the dirty noise being fed back into the mains).

Thanks,

r

I'm Stephen.

I have done this on the HomeHub 6. It requires a 12 volt supply. I went for the SBooster and there are benefits from feeding it with a cleaner and quieter supply.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    I have done this on the HomeHub 6. It requires a 12 volt supply. I went for the SBooster and there are benefits from feeding it with a cleaner and quieter supply.
    What are the benefits ? (Serious question.)

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Hi, Just upgraded my router to the Bt Halo. It comes, as usual with a switching PS.

My questions are: 1. Would I notice a difference in upgrading to a Linear PS? (From what I've read - the answer is 'yes').

and

2. Which cheapie LPS would anyone advise? (I'd be using it with a Rpi/Allo combination - and Apple airport express). I have some of the Ebay/Chinese LPS driving other units and found them OK) but wondered about 'benefits-for-bucks'. Are there units that can smooth the 12V SMPS output? (I realise that these may not not stop the dirty noise being fed back into the mains).

Thanks,

r
    Are your devices connected by ethernet or WiFi?
    If it's the latter then probably not.

Almost everything else in your home has SMPS powering it, so unless you make steps to lessen the crap they all kick out onto the mains it's pretty pointless just changing out one of them.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Are your devices connected by ethernet or WiFi?
    If it's the latter then probably not.

Most everything else in your home has SMPS powering it, so unless you make steps to lessen the crap they all kick out onto the mains it's pretty pointless just changing out one of them.
    The Raspberry Pi has a Paul Hynes hard wired onto the GPIO pins to avoid the usb input. I believe its about reducing noise going into the router by refining the 12 volt supply.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    The Raspberry Pi has a Paul Hynes hard wired onto the GPIO pins to avoid the usb input. I believe its about reducing noise going into the router by refining the 12 volt supply.
    Connection by ethernet or WiFi?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Richard.

Hi, OP here.

The router is connected via ethernet.

Thanks,

R

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Hi, OP here.

The router is connected via ethernet.

Thanks,

R
    A LPSU would probably make an audible difference.
    Just make sure that the PSU can deliver the current your router requires.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Richard.

12V @ 1500mA...but always nice to have a little more 'headroom'.

Thanks again.

R

I'm Alan.

Most of the SMPS adapters supplied with the routers are 'generic' off the shelf, the ratings are over the top usually for the current needed.

An easy way to tell, does the SMPS get warm? If it is running anywhere near its rating it will definitely get warm.
    In an instance like this I will always measure the actual current the router takes to size an LPSU closer to actual requirement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast