+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Voltage Step Down/ Regulator

I'm Martin.

Default Voltage Step Down/ Regulator

Hi All,

I am in need of a voltage step down/ regulator to protect my valve amps. I need to ensure that the supply is kept to 230V (it currently sits during the day at 244-246V but does measure as high as 250V on a regular basis).

Any ideas of where I can procure such devices would be greatly appreciated. I have seen one online with a fanciful audiophile description and extensive performance claim list along with a price tag to match. I am looking for something a little more humble that does not introduce significant levels of unwanted noise into the system.

There must be something aimed at sensitive general electronic equipment.

Thank you in advance of any suggestions provided.

All the best, Martin

I'm David.

Hi Martin,
    I've supplied 'bucking transformers' to a few folk for just this use. In the main it's been to reduce 245 or so volts to 220 for Chinese amps, but I've equally made units to take nearly 250v to 230v. Cost is around £100 odd and they operate without producing heat or any other bad side product.
    David

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanthecat View Post
    Hi All,

I am in need of a voltage step down/ regulator to protect my valve amps. I need to ensure that the supply is kept to 230V (it currently sits during the day at 244-246V but does measure as high as 250V on a regular basis).

Any ideas of where I can procure such devices would be greatly appreciated. I have seen one online with a fanciful audiophile description and extensive performance claim list along with a price tag to match. I am looking for something a little more humble that does not introduce significant levels of unwanted noise into the system.

There must be something aimed at sensitive general electronic equipment.

Thank you in advance of any suggestions provided.

All the best, Martin
    A mains regenerator will output a very steady 230v give or take the odd 0.1v, I used a ag1500 - Power Inspired, but took it back out as I couldn't hear a difference, but it will do what you want. They seem to go for £250-£300 used. They are a bit on the big side though.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Thanks Mike, thank you for the response. I am in Hove and it can top out near the 'declared voltage' limit (253V as I understand) in this particular part of town. All the best, Martin

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AD Audio View Post
    Hi Martin,
    I've supplied 'bucking transformers' to a few folk for just this use. In the main it's been to reduce 245 or so volts to 220 for Chinese amps, but I've equally made units to take nearly 250v to 230v. Cost is around £100 odd and they operate without producing heat or any other bad side product.
    David
    Hi David, I PM'd you earlier. Regards Martin

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanthecat View Post
    Thanks Mike, thank you for the response. I am in Hove and it can top out near the 'declared voltage' limit (253V as I understand) in this particular part of town. All the best, Martin
    Oh ok, I'm in central Hove, near palmeria. See my thread https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...verything-else Feel free to pop around some time, be good to get a second opinion on how my sytem sounds. Cheers.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread