+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Akai 4000DB in the dark

I'm Steve.

Default Akai 4000DB in the dark

I've just acquired my dad's old akai 4000DB which has been slumbering in its original box undisturbed for the last 30-ish years, and prior to that had extremely minimal use, and visually is in mint condition.
    It's not all good though as it has been stored in a damp-ish environment and with the wooden case off peripheral areas of the chassis are showing corrosion, although the main gubbins inside seen pretty pristine.
    After a quick check over/clean I fired her up and all 'seems' to be working ... not actually tried recording yet, waiting until reassembly.
    I don't have any lights on the front panel though .... no VU meter lights, no record light, no Dolby light ... nowt! .... any ideas from you clever people out there? ... fuse maybe? ... i'm the first to admit I'm no good with this kind of elektrickery ;^(

Thanks, Steve
    I wish I knew what I was doing ....
    www.reesguitars.co.uk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

When you say "all 'seems' to be working", what exactly do you mean? Do the motors work when you select 'Play', 'Forward wind' or 'Rewind'?

If they do then it is unlikely to be the fuse. Is the fuse accessible from the outside? If it is then it easy to check.

VU meter lights often fail and can be replaced, though your machine is probably at least 40 years old so replacement bulbs might be hard to source.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Thanks Barry,
    It's not a main fuse as motor runs nicely, Play/FF/Rwd all working, but I thought there may be some internal small fuse protecting the panel lighting circuit maybe ??.... unless it is a coincidence that all panel lights have failed.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    www.reesguitars.co.uk

I'm Grant.

think the bulbs are 8v.. tey do go, although its odd they have all gone. not sure where the 8v is generated so could be that.. tapeheads might be of use if none the our tape guys know
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    think the bulbs are 8v.. although its odd they have all gone. not sure where the 8v is generated so could be that..
    Thanks Grant, if it's 8v on that circuit that may narrow things down ... was going to try Tapeheads but thought i'd try here first :^)
    Cheers!
    www.reesguitars.co.uk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I did a quick check on Google and the VU lamps for the Akai 4000D MkII are 6.3V 150mA. But I couldn't find a source for replacements.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Thanks Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I did a quick check on Google and the VU lamps for the Akai 4000D MkII are 6.3V 150mA. But I couldn't find a source for replacements.
    www.reesguitars.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread