+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAC Dilema

I'm Mark.

Default DAC Dilema

Having had a PS Audio Digital Link III with Cullen Stage 3 Modification in my system for several happy years I have the itch for something new and the PS Audio Direct Stream is prime candidate but there are others of course. Any recommendations?

Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

What's your budget?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mark.

Well there are several used Perfect Waves under £4000 and that would be my absolute limit give or take selling part exchanging my current DAC

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Martin.

The PS Audio Directstream measures very poorly and is very expensive

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ream-dac.9100/

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

If you like the one you've got I'd stick with it, spend the money elsewhere.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

Personally the PS audio tries to recreate what the Americans fell is digital analogue and its a long way off imho

If you are considering that sort of outlay you have plenty of real choice of quality items out there
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Personally the PS audio tries to recreate what the Americans fell is digital analogue and its a long way off imho

If you are considering that sort of outlay you have plenty of real choice of quality items out there
    Interesting comment about the cultural differences in the perception of what an "analogue" sound from digital sources should sound like, would you be able to expand on your thoughts a little please Tony?

I'll stick my neck out and say probably the best "analogue" sound I had was from a Pink Triangle Da Capo dac which must presumably fall into a definition of a UK analogue sound.

I should add I couldn't get on with JW's MDac at all.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Personally,
    the PS Audio Directstream is the best Dac I've ever heard, never mind owned and currently enjoying.

It bettered a DCS Bartok to these ears with the latest Windom firmware update, had a few spare scheckles and my nervosa got a bit itchy...and took a punt.
    And sent the DCS back.

The Directstream is as an enjoyable a musical experience as my Rega P10/Apheta 3 turntable.
    Musical experience, analogue or otherwise...in some very fundamental ways it’s appreciably better.
    But it ain’t vinyl!

Wonder how my Turntable measures?
    Actually, I don’t care, rather just play records.

Just goes to show you eh?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 09-12-2020 at 22:52.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Interesting comment about the cultural differences in the perception of what an "analogue" sound from digital sources should sound like, would you be able to expand on your thoughts a little please Tony?

I'll stick my neck out and say probably the best "analogue" sound I had was from a Pink Triangle Da Capo dac which must presumably fall into a definition of a UK analogue sound.

I should add I couldn't get on with JW's MDac at all.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I had the 3 box Pink ( Cardinal DeCapo and DC) with 24bit filter absolutely loved it but having replaced the batteries in the DC twice and then had it converted to a dedicated AC power supply it just became too long in the tooth and was sold with the intention of replacing it with the Audio Research CD 7 but circumstances intervened (career change etc). So now looking for a new cd front end.

I'm Mark.

I love my vinyl front end too (Pink Triangle Anniversary SE, SME V, Koetsu Rosewood, Iota Signature Reference balanced phono stage) but its not Vinyl or CD its both and the CD front end needs attention

I'm Tony.

I will re clarify for you Lawrence,

The PS audio direct stream dac is an American idea of how they feel digital should sound, it deliveries a big sound, overly warm and very contrived like a lot of so called high end equipment it contains a very definite style of sound. It is also well rolled off again in a very instinctive way.

Why does it have many friends, simple it has zero grain or digital edge which many people find appealing. Most of the owners I know of or have traded in the last 18 months are over 50 years old, possibly they have an affinity to nostalgia for that first time they played an LP back in the day?

However it gives a sound that people like, so they purchase it as for being truly analogue imho long way off, however doesn't mean that its a bad piece if you like it you buy it simple.

DCS equipment again personally for me NO, a different side of the same coin having owned pretty much all of these models over the years (still own several early pieces in the studio 972 et al) With everything in audio its a personal choice and we all like different things and different sounds appeal to different people plus the one elephant in the room that very few mention individuals hearing ability this plays a BIG part on your equipment selection.

Just book yourself a free hearing test and see how you really can hear, I regularly have one every six months and at the ripe age of 54 I have just a smidge under 14K worth of range. Remember humans are more susceptible to upper frequencies than any other so anything perceived as bright, forward or strident will be avoided UNLESS you have under 9K worth of hearing bandwidth in which case a lot of guys charge off trying to chase the sonic dragon instead of dealing with the issue

As for PT and FF build quality having retailed these products (FF) I can genuinely say they are sub standard and as for carrying a handbag dog around in a pushchair at shows tells me a great deal about the company.

You do not need to spend large sums on dacs for most people so do your research and AUDITIONING and you will find the right one that fits in with your style.
    Last edited by Mr. C; 12-12-2020 at 09:34.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast