+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musing a change of arm on the SL1200G

I'm Mike.

May'be the same effect could be achieved with any other spacer/piece of wood?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Kevin.

Maybe not....

I have tried wooden and high density graphite spacers.
    They don’t decouple the cartridge, and they don’t give such a big improvement.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    The Houdini arrived this morning - In a jiffy bag with a little cardboard box inside it with the Funk logo. It's a pretty underwhelming little package for the money really. The device itself looks like someone drove over and flattened an Ortofon Kontrapunkt and the only other things in the box are a few nylon screws, a little plastic jig for cutting the screws to the correct length for your headshell and a tiny little flat blade screwdriver, presumably to use to ensure you don't over-tighten anything, and a little instruction sheet.

I didn't waste any time fitting it though and the whole thing took no more than 10 minutes and was straightforward enough - Remove the headshell from the 1200G, remove the cartridge from the headshell, screw the tiny 4mm nylon screws into the cartridge, fit the cartridge into the collar of the Houdini, then screw the houdini back into the headshell and fit the headshell back on the deck. Adjust VTA and tracking weight to accommodate and off you go.

Thankfully my Soundmith headshell and cartridge combination was already right at the bottom of the VTA adjustment on the Technics arm, so I was able to adjust upwards by 6mm and the VTA is spot on.

I ended up taking a slightly extended lunchbreak so that I could get a first impression of how it now sounded...

All I'm going to say right now is that if I had just spent £3K on a new arm and it had given me this level of improvement, then I would have still been over the moon!

OH. MY. GOD!

I'll write some more when I've had some more time to listen...
    I wonder if everyone will experience this level of euphoria?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Maybe not....

I have tried wooden and high density graphite spacers.
    They don’t decouple the cartridge, and they don’t give such a big improvement.
    I can't think of a cartridge that is intended for use decoupled.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I wonder if everyone will experience this level of euphoria?
    I'm sure mileage will vary depending on the arm and cartridge in use, but it would be interesting to know whether the dramatic effect is similar on other setups.

Well, I didn't stop listening to vinyl ALL weekend. Digital playback hasn't been so much as switched on and it was 3 late nights of thoroughly engaging tunes. I guess you can partly put that down to lockdown, but that's not happened in MANY years, not even after major changes of kit.
    Rich

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I can't think of a cartridge that is intended for use decoupled.
    Me neither, but I am impressed with what Houdini does, and it seems I am not the only one.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Keith.

Have you tried the KAB tonearm damper yet? It's a game changer for my lowly SL1500C.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Have you tried the KAB tonearm damper yet? It's a game changer for my lowly SL1500C.
    I had been thinking about this, but my SoundSmith cartridge went back to the manufacturer for a rebuild back in March and I've heard nothing about it since other than 'we received it'. I've heard that SoundSmith's service is running slow for a few personal reasons and I believe its the main man himself who does at least most of the rebuilds on the SoundSmith carts, so I'm being very patient in the hope that I will hear something soon. Once it finally arrives back (fingers crossed) I'll have a look at the damper.
    Rich

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12