+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Speaker dilemma

I'm Mike.

I'm not selling the Kralks Steve, before you ask.....................

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Adrian.

It is rather odd see https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index...t-loudspeakers They report bass as below.

"Another way the Chameleon Ts distinguished themselves was in their reproduction of deep bass. With “m.A.A.d. city,” from Kendrick Lamar’s good kid, m.A.A.d. city (CD, Aftermath B001753602), the Revels produced tighter, punchier, more impactful bass. Through the Sonus Fabers, this track’s bass was a touch fatter and fuller than the F206es’ more disciplined delivery. In this case, I thought the Chameleon Ts better suited this gritty hip-hop track."

Steve, just in case, have checked you haven't accidentally wired them up out of phase? I know that the low end freq rolls off in the freq sweep someone found but Sonus say they go down to 40hz, I'd be surprised if the are that bad as shown. I would also try to isolate them from the wooden floor, using some cheap rubber pads, rather than using the spikes to see if they improve.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

What speaker cable are you using Steve?

I agree with Grant, worth trying different cables.
    Sounds daft, but are they definitely wired in phase at the moment?

Is it a case of the bass is obviously “off” (sucked out, phasey sounding) or just a preference for deeper sub bass?
    Speakers or ears ya think?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Zander.

"Another strong indicator that you are moving into a true hi-fi speaker is that the Chameleon’s are rated at 4 ohms. Sonus Faber is not your average consumer-grade speaker, and this is a vitally important spec to be aware of. If your amplifier or receiver is not rated to output current that will adequately drive a 4 ohm speaker, you will need to upgrade. In order to fully enjoy these speakers, and not permanently damage your amplifier, the demand from the speaker needs to be satisfied"

4 ohm speakers need a lot of current to deliver Powerful bass from my experiences.

Then I find this:

"With a nominal impedance of 4 Ohms, pairing Chameleon T with my AVM Ovation MA8.2 mono reference amplifiers with a potential 1100 watts on tap may be a little overkill, but hey, I like a little ‘head-room’.

London Grammar’s*“Wasting My Younger Years”*is a more recent favourite track of mine; breathtaking and emotive, the build-up draws the listener in. When pushed, this track does find the limitations of the woofers and small cabinet, lacking a little authority in the bass and bottom end. Being fair though, that’s in comparison to the typically larger footprint speakers with larger diameter woofers I’m used to in my room"

So seems this huge amplifier can't drag the bass from them because it doesn't exist.

Then this:

"Marketing material suggests a frequency response of 38Hz – 25kHz"

I am not liking that spec and with it having front ports, you will not really benefit from pushing them closer to the rear wall.

Sell them and move on.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I'm not selling the Kralks Steve, before you ask.....................
    Ha ha

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The Hi-fi News reviewer praises the bass response '...presenting deep bass notes with convincing authority, devoid of blur or smearing.'
    He was obviously pissed at the time he reviewed them.

I'm Mike.

Ever thought of a pair of Tannoy Cheviots, a mate of mine has a pair running on 15 wpc valve monos and they sound awsome with plenty of bass

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubi View Post
    "Another strong indicator that you are moving into a true hi-fi speaker is that the Chameleon’s are rated at 4 ohms. Sonus Faber is not your average consumer-grade speaker, and this is a vitally important spec to be aware of. If your amplifier or receiver is not rated to output current that will adequately drive a 4 ohm speaker, you will need to upgrade. In order to fully enjoy these speakers, and not permanently damage your amplifier, the demand from the speaker needs to be satisfied"

4 ohm speakers need a lot of current to deliver Powerful bass from my experiences.

Then I find this:

"With a nominal impedance of 4 Ohms, pairing Chameleon T with my AVM Ovation MA8.2 mono reference amplifiers with a potential 1100 watts on tap may be a little overkill, but hey, I like a little ‘head-room’.

London Grammar’s*“Wasting My Younger Years”*is a more recent favourite track of mine; breathtaking and emotive, the build-up draws the listener in. When pushed, this track does find the limitations of the woofers and small cabinet, lacking a little authority in the bass and bottom end. Being fair though, that’s in comparison to the typically larger footprint speakers with larger diameter woofers I’m used to in my room"

So seems this huge amplifier can't drag the bass from them because it doesn't exist.

Then this:

"Marketing material suggests a frequency response of 38Hz – 25kHz"

I am not liking that spec and with it having front ports, you will not really benefit from pushing them closer to the rear wall.

Sell them and move on.
    I find myself in agreement. I have them on the 4Ohm tap and there is no difference.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    He was obviously pissed at the time he reviewed them.
    I think he was mistaking a recording with a lot of mid-bass for a recording with a lot of deep bass. Common enough mistake on forums but it's a rookie error you wouldn't expect from a 'proper' reviewer.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234