+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone use the Creek Sequel phono stage?

I'm Neds.

Default Anyone use the Creek Sequel phono stage?

Hi all. Bought a Creek Evo 50a, without the phono stage ( but annoyingly with the tuner module, which I’ll never use!). How good is the mm Sequel? The latest version -mk.4-has dip switch adjustments and is £129, or I could get a used mk.2 for £50, no adjustments, by the look of it. Or, am I better off with a budget external phono stage? Deck is a TD 125 with an AT 110e
    Cheers

I'm John.

I would say if you plan to stay with mm carts at or about the same level as your current cart then the mk2 or a used mm PS from fleabay/classifieds is all, you need. However if you plan on climbing the cartridge tree to say AT 5xx, 7xx, 2m Bronze, or possibly <£750 MCs then the mk4 or an external PS with adjustment is justified.

I'm Neds.

Hi John. Cross forum now! Radiant Red suggested a Cambridge solo, keeping the phono stage away from the amp, but I'm assuming that Mike Creek has taken that into account, re interference? I'm. Of planning on going MC anytime, but I guess if I do, I'll just start again. The sequel mk.4 only has dips for mm anyway?

I'm John.

My feeling is that if an external PS is being powered by a wall wart then any advantage gained by it being outside the amp is negated by feeding it with an SMPS and its attendant (electrical) noise. An internal stage in an amp of the quality you've bought should have sufficient shielding/rejection and is powered by a clean (non-noisy) transformer based power supply.

I'm Neds.

That sounds thoroughly logical! Yeah, I don’t want to get into upgraded power supplies for what would essentially be a budget PS. Apparently, there was a problem with the Sequel mc card, admitted by Creek, re hum from the transformer, but that shouldn’t affect me. I just wonder if I’m being too stingy- £50 as opposed to latest version at £129? I know, that’s less than some peoples snuff bill on here.............

I'm Geoff.

Clean DC is just that. It doesn't matter if the PSU is switching or linear!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread