+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next upgrade, some cables me thinks. :)

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Default Next upgrade, some cables me thinks. :)

Afternoon bods,

Ok, I've now finally got my AD Audio bespoke valve buffer stage in the system, and it's frickin' amazing! More on that later.

So, I'm feeling like a bit of a cable upgrade. The USB and Optical I have are very nice indeed so I wouldn't bother changing those; frankly I've rarely heard anything approaching even a minor difference with digital cable upgrades. However, let that not be the case with the analogue side, of which I've always heard a huge improvement (or sometimes a side-step) whenever I've ventured north on the moolah side.

I currently have 2x pairs of Chord Company Clearway XLRs and 2x 2.5m of Chord Company Clearway speaker cables terminated with those funky banana plugs - the name escapes me of the plugs for now, but they're not gold and they are VERY tight. I like to keep my XLRs and speaker cables to the same voicing which usually means 'from the same manufacturer', but where do I go? Higher end Chord Company (frankly the Clearways are exceptional quality and VFM) or something more exotic?

Your thoughts please good gents. I'll need 1x 1m XLR pair M to F, 1x 1.5m XLR pair M to F, and 2x 2.5m single runs of speaker cable with 'nana plugs. Thoughts preferably from those who've had Clearway in their systems and found an appreciably better alternative without changing equipment.

I could go new, but will of course be seeking used first as there's no point in throwing the cash away.

Thankin' ye kindly.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You're opening up a can of worms there Rob!

As AoS's resident cable sceptic, all I can say is that I make my own, as I resent paying megabucks for what is usually cable 'off the drum', fitted to connectors of a very ordinary standard.

Of the balanced line cables I have made (using Neutrik professional XLR connectors), my favourites use the following cable:

EMT 2111

Klotz MC5000

Neumann TML-103

Mogami 2549 (amongst others)

and

Gotham GAC-2.

If you are using the cables in truly balanced-line systems, then the audible differences between cables is IMO minimal.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-11-2020 at 17:51. Reason: Correction
    Barry

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you are using the cables in truly balanced-line systems, then the audible differences between cables is IMO minimal.
    I am indeed, fully balanced on all components. I do wonder as to the improvements to be had with upgrading the XLRs, particularly as they’re designed to run many, many metres without loss. Still, never hurts to ask opinions!

What’s your thoughts for speaker cable? I’m more than competent enough to terminate a cable run!

I realise my post above doesn't really answer your query, as you want to have all cables (interconnects and speaker) from the same manufacturer (a cable 'loom' to use the current marketing term. ).
    Barry

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Oops - our posts overlapped.

How long will your speaker cables be? Of those with which I have experience, I can recommend Van Damme 4mm2 and 6mm2 cables as well as Fisual 'Hollywood' and 'S-Flex'. They are not expensive.

If you want to push the boat out, there are the TelluriumQ cables, all of which get very good reviews.
    Barry

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I’ve experienced the Tellurium cables before, and they’re on my list. I do rather fancy pushing the boat out a bit as I have been with the rest of the system. I have been looking at Chord’s Signature Reference speaker cable, which would play ‘familiar’ with the XLRs of course. I only need 2x 2.5m.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Yep indeed.

I'm Marcus.

I upgraded from Chord Clearwater to Van Damme, and then to Eidon Wonfor LS-25. Big jump in price, but big improvement in sound. All you can do is try different cables and see if they make any difference to you, that you are prepared to pay for.
    For interconnect, RFC Venus all day long, Oriton Symphony Orange is also excellent.
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

+ Reply to Thread