+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Glad you are pleased with them Rob. As you quoted:

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab
    As perfectly put by JohnJo, completely foo-free. No nonsense cables that do what a cable should; not get in the way. Worth a shot for the pennies they cost.
    Couldn't have put it much better myself - and that's from a cable sceptic!
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    How do the differing sizes differ sound wise? I mean how would the 2.5mm be different to the 4mm, 6mm?
    The thicker the conductor, James, generally the better the signal transfer, and thus sound

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    That's a very interesting point, didn't the whole fancy cable market kick off around the same time as certain members of the hifi press were telling us we didn't want tone controls in the 80s

Around the same time as the "Jap crap" movement
    Lol - there could be a connection Lawrence. I've just never been the type to use ANY cables in that way. For me, it's always about maximum resolution/faithfulness to the source signal, so that they just 'disappear'. I've never liked cables with an obvious and overt sonic signature.

Often expensive 'high-end' cables are like that, as they've been designed to alter the sound in some (often crazy) way, simply to justify their extortionate price! 'Studio quality' cables, IME, tend to be blissfully free of that nonsense, so less coloured sounding, thus more transparent.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Agreed - speakers are current driven; they operate in the current domain, so the thicker the cable the better (up to a point). Also thicker cables will have a lower loop resistance. From the speaker's point of view this cable resistance appears in series with the output impedance of the driving amplifier, so affects the ability of the amplifier to dampen the back emf generated by the speaker (i.e. stops "the tail wagging the dog").

Furthermore, the reduced resistance of a thick speaker cable means there is less power lost within the cable - though this effect is very small and I doubt one would notice it. All speakers have an impedance which varies significantly with frequency, so another effect of the cable resistance is that a cable having a high loop resistance will exacerbate irregularities of the speaker's frequency response.

A general rule of thumb is that a speakers loop resistance (i.e the combined resistance of both conductors) should be no more than 5% of the nominal speaker impedance; thus offering a damping factor of ~20, which is quite sufficient.
    Last edited by Barry; 18-11-2020 at 23:40.
    Barry

I'm BigBobJoylove.

And of course, the better the current to the speakers, the more easily it is to diagnose issues elsewhere in the chain. As far as I'm concerned, I now have no issues anywhere now. After swapping the XLRs (coming from Brian soon) for longer ones, I'm done for a good long while. Just going to sit back and enjoy!

Besides which, to get a significant gain in any of my components, I'm going to have to be spending thousands of pounds per item, and I just don't want to do that for an 'nth' of improvement - yet.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The thicker the conductor, James, generally the better the signal transfer, and thus sound

Marco.
    I've recently bought the 2.5mm version ,yet to be installed, just 1.5mtr each side, would the 6mm version be a noticeable improvement over such a short length, in theory?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I have used 1m lengths of both the 4mm2 and 6mm2 cable. Can't say I've noticed any difference, so I doubt you would with 1.5m lengths.

For longer lengths I would prefer to use the 6mm2 variant - but that is only based on theoretical differences, rather than a possible improvement in SQ.
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have used 1m lengths of both the 4mm2 and 6mm2 cable. Can't say I've noticed any difference, so I doubt you would with 1.5m lengths.

For longer lengths I would prefer to use the 6mm2 variant - but that is only based on theoretical differences, rather than a possible improvement in SQ.
    Thank you
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    I've recently bought the 2.5mm version ,yet to be installed, just 1.5mtr each side, would the 6mm version be a noticeable improvement over such a short length, in theory?
    No, as Barry says I can't see there being much difference over that length.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Josie.

I've been using 2x 4mm VD Black per channel for over 4 years now. It's brilliant stuff.

Mine was made up by Mark Grant... again, excellent service as ever.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast