+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do tweeters "go off"?

I'm Andrew.

Default Do tweeters "go off"?

Probably an extremely stupid question but do tweeters go off? I'm probably a stupid old audiofool but I'm looking at ways to improve my IMF super compact II's I've replaced the midrange driver to great effects but I have read stories of the ?ELAC tweeters failing after a while. Falcon do a replacement and I wonder if it might be worthwhile and investment in a pair of new tweeters? Take the piss if you like Gentlemen, all replies and suggestions greatly accepted.
    Last edited by REXTON; 08-02-2021 at 23:15.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DAC Caiman SEG+15V PSU+Dorado DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe/Ebony PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modified) AMP Sondex S100 (Modified) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Reference XO DECKS Garrard301/401 (Bastin) Mat Teunto Bearings 301/401(Bastin) Plinth Moldovan/Bastin Arms 3009/3012(Ikeda Ag wired) SME V 12 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister v2 / Royall N SPU's CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ Speaker 10mm Cu + WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostage Paradise(4 Box Modded) / EAR 834 Clone (modded)

www.facebook.com/wakefieldaudio

I'm Grant.

Tweeters do fail. Especially fluid filled ones. But they can go as they are delicate and it can be difficult to absolutely hear it at times as there is so much other more powerful sounds around.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

**Ive studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**

"An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

"Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"

It was the weakest practical joke since Cardinal Wolsey got his nob out at Hampton Court and stood at the end of the passage pretending to be a door!

I like my whisky old and my women young. "Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak!"

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Andrew, have you measured the resistance of the tweeters? You ought to get somewhere in the 6 to 7 ohm range and should be steady after a couple of seconds.

Current: Roon/Tidal > RPi> Metrum Hex > Sugden IA4 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Andrew, have you measured the resistance of the tweeters? You ought to get somewhere in the 6 to 7 ohm range and should be steady after a couple of seconds.

Hi Edward, no that was to be tomorrow's task! I'll update tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DAC Caiman SEG+15V PSU+Dorado DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe/Ebony PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modified) AMP Sondex S100 (Modified) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Reference XO DECKS Garrard301/401 (Bastin) Mat Teunto Bearings 301/401(Bastin) Plinth Moldovan/Bastin Arms 3009/3012(Ikeda Ag wired) SME V 12 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister v2 / Royall N SPU's CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ Speaker 10mm Cu + WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostage Paradise(4 Box Modded) / EAR 834 Clone (modded)

www.facebook.com/wakefieldaudio

I'm Edward.

Could be even in the 8 ohm region.

Current: Roon/Tidal > RPi> Metrum Hex > Sugden IA4 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

There were two super compacts if I remember. They use, a dome tweeter and it'll be about 7 ohm as Ed says. Originals had an 8 inch bass I think

Might add they need a fair bit of driving. Not sure why but my big valve amp struggled to handle them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

**Ive studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**

"An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

"Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"

It was the weakest practical joke since Cardinal Wolsey got his nob out at Hampton Court and stood at the end of the passage pretending to be a door!

I like my whisky old and my women young. "Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak!"

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread