+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hello sound people

I'm Marinus.

Default hello sound people

Hello sound people,
    I came here to learn about a Philips preamp from the 80s, which I got from my uncle. Another member changed some of its electronics and I wanted to ask if he would like to tell me, how I can do it. Despite that, my system is nothing. I cannot tell you about my power amp, because I do not want to get banned, seriously. I listened on a entry level Rotel integrated amp for most of my life, had small DIY bass reflex booksheld speakers which actually sounded pretty nice, but that I gave to my GF and changed to some 90s Canton Karat that actually sound way worse, d'oh! I am planning to build myself a 2-Way speaker which leans on old school JBL designs and look a bit like PA system, but should be high-endish, when done correctly. I have a couple of passions in music and want to build a good enough system over the time. I actually would rather like to socialize my sound system: I will try to make a mobile high end 2-way which will have a dual life, one in private use for my private pleasure, another as an instrument for sound based art.

Thats me, hope you are all doing fine! Stay safe!

I'm Rob.

Hi Marinus, building your own speakers can be very rewarding. I have made a few and had good results. I also used to use some enormous Goodmans pro speakers that had 15" bass units in them and they sounded great. I got rid of them as I was ashamed to be using something not regarded as "Audiophile" and meant for PA stuff. Anyway that was many years ago and I have got over it now......sort of

Let us have some pics of your build.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Steve.

I have built a few speakers, and have had a lot of fun with Eminence PA drivers. Something special about how fast and lively and efficient they are.

This sort of 10" plus compression driver thing looks fun:

https://ampslab.com/blog/2019/07/17/...-ii-revisited/

Plenty of European companies make PA drivers too.

Actually the trick is to stack several vertically. Gives you that real PA sound. Same loudness for less power. So annoys the neighbours less. And the loudness falls off less with distance, so the people at the back can hear too.

Cylindrical dispersion rather than inverse square.

I'm Marinus.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Let us have some pics of your build.
    Hey Rob,
    thanks for your welcome words! I will take it slowly with my build, but would love to share some documentation when I'm on it. After I discovered that I could buy the components for the speakers, I got into a frenzy: I spend all my free time on it lately. And then some. A basic understanding of the speaker system and its major components is easy to obtain, but a thousand questions follow and ask to be answered. And this tiny little beasts consume a lot of time. After I sent back my first parts order, because I was not quite sure about my choices after some more questions arose, I will now take it easy and wait a bit until things clarify.
    This old Philips preamp (AH 280) sounds already rewarding on my bookshelf speakers. At least I think it sounds way more open and detailed than the integrated Rotel RA-921 did, which I had been listening on all the years. I should test, if it is true: With the new amp, I also listen on higher levels which often improves perceived sound quality already. I think the bass with the AH 280 is spot on, has power, is not dull and the mids and highs picture a very nice soundstage with many details. It is a dream to listen to music which has it all. I actually like this machine and would like to get rid of the vices the Japanese engineers build into it (electrolytic caps in the signal path ?!?). They should be replaced, I think. Here comes the solder iron.

I'm Marinus.

Hi Steve,
    if done right, my speakers should be a bit like JBL 4425. I could not afford these. Let's see what I am able to achieve in the end.

I'm Steve.

I should probably refer to my notes and back catalogue of manuals, and pictures.

But I have always liked Rotel. I am pretty sure my last small amp was the Rotel RA-921. Mere 30wpc. Blew up on one channel one night. Sent it to the dump.

Very dry and clean sound.

TBH, heard one Class A/B amp and you heard them all. They all nick each other's designs. Sony is working for me now.

I think the real trickery is in the speakers.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Marinus. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here, so just join in and have fun.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Marinus,

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread