+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve Phono EAR834P upgrade

I'm Ales.

Default Valve Phono EAR834P upgrade

We are also in Slovenia in this lockdown situation. I'm listening most of the spare time my vinyl collection, mostly jazz and blues.
    I'm enjoing with Tannoy Turnbeery speakers, Sugden pre/final A class amplification, turntable designed by Tom Fletcher,
    now produced in Ljubljana by Pear Audio, model Kid Thomas, Grado Reference V2 cartridge with 4mV output and valve phono EAR 834P, MM only type.

I need your suggestion for better valve phono, but still with valve cosy feeling? It can be MM only.
    Budget up to 1500 GBP, possibility of purchasing used.

Stay healthy and thanks for advice.

I'm John.

I would say go for a BigBottle mk3, it's a stunning piece of kit and the latest 1 box version come in at around £1k new. I picked one up recently and it's as good as my Tron Seven Ultimate, very detailed like the TSU but with smoothness, great texture and a rightness to the sound.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Ales.

Thanks John, for your input.

I'm Karl.

Yes as mentioned , the BB3 . Nothing ive heard gets close for the price . It’s amazing and you will have 500 spare for more records or a nice used MC cart to really hear it’s capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Ales.

Hello Karl,

which type of NOS tubes are you using in Bigbottle Mk3 with best results?
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Karl.

Default Valve Phono EAR834P upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    Hello Karl,

which type of NOS tubes are you using in Bigbottle Mk3 with best results?
    Hi buddy ,

I have a trio of NOS Telefunken.

2 x Siemens made telefunken pcc88 in position 1 and 3 , and 1 x early 60s Berlin made ecc83. I’ve had a play around with all sorts now of varying price and quality, from cheap old JJs to mid price genelex gold lion gold pins to NOS Russian military spec and and the Tele are by far the best sounding and quietest I have used so far . Wonderful valves . The ecc83 in position 2 has the most influence on the sound to my ears . If you like clean detailed and neutral and finesse the teles are the way. If you like warmth then the gold lions are fat and round sounding . It’s very responsive so you can really tailor it.

It’s just a brilliant phonostage and everything I have thrown at it sounds great. The Teles just give that little bit extra finesse and squeeze a few more drops out of it.

It destroyed my Whest 2.2 in every single way . One of the best upgrades I have made . I also requested Clarity cap CMR in mine too which give a big open soundstage and they just get out of the way leaving a lovely natural and neutral presentation.

For the price it’s an absolute Hifi bargain. As lurch said , he prefers it to his £8k Tron and it’s beaten a few others in the few thousand pound bracket too from what others have told me. It’s one thing that I can whole heartedly recommend to anybody looking to get more performance from their setup and I genuinely think you would be talking upwards of 3-4K in a retail environment . It’s also very quiet for a valve phono and measures very well too.

Oliver has just informed me that all phonostages he now builds now receive the kings treatment and every single component is precision ultra matched for perfect channel balance which elevates the performance higher and he now uses the CMR as his reference capacitor. They will also now be made in a one box version as he has found an o core transformer that doesn’t hinder performance.

You only have to read all of the positive reviews from owners to know that this latest mk3 version with multifet boards upgrade is a special piece of kit. I’m yet to see or hear a single person that doesn’t like it or has moved it on . That speaks for itself .

Cheers
    Last edited by Bigbird; 14-11-2020 at 21:36.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Jayson.

+1 for the Bigbottle mkIII or BB3
    Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP / Transrotor ZET 3 + Konstant M1 Ref. psu / Jelco TK-850S / Hana ML / Bigbottle mk3 phono stage / KEF Reference 3 / Auralic Mini / Chord Qutest / Isotek Aquarius / Sbooster mkII psu

Mains cables: Viablue X40 mains cable + Furutech NCF plugs + SR Orange fuses
    Speaker cables: MIT AVt MA
    Interconnects: MIT AVt MA / MIT Matrix 12 / Zavfino Majestic tonearm cable
    USB:Curious
    Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
    Accessories: IsoAcoustics Orea Indigo + Bronze / Gaia II / SDS soundeck

I'm Ales.

I've contacted Oliver, but he is really busy with his projects and can't deliver Bigbottle mkIII before January next year.
    Any other promising valve phono under € 1500?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
    +1 for the Bigbottle mkIII or BB3
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    I've contacted Oliver, but he is really busy with his projects and can't deliver Bigbottle mkIII before January next year.
    Any other promising valve phono under € 1500?
    Honestly mate I would be patient and wait . Put your order in and enjoy what you have for a few more weeks. He has a few more builds to do before Christmas but he can order your parts which sometimes take a few weeks to arrive anyway what with covid delays.

It’s not long now until January and you won’t get anything close to the BB3 performance for that kind of money. Somebody on another forum said yesterday that they now want to buy one too after hearing it in his system , and he has an Aurorasound Vida which retails around £4K , so it shows the kind of performance you get from this unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm John.

Ales, whilst I understand your desire/desperation to get this upgrade underway, I would say be patient, place your order, and wait for a BB3 to be delivered. There really isn't anything to touch it without spending atleast 3 times more, it really is that good.
    I've owned a number of really good phonos over the last 4 yrs:
    Icon Audio PS1.2SE
    Icon Audio PS3SE
    Tron Basic mm + Music First Baby Classic SUT
    Tron Seven Ultimate

Also had a Sutherland 20/20 & Aurorasound Vida brought here by friends.
    The BB3 is beyond any doubt the best PS that I've heard.

About the only kit I've had here that could run it close/beat it (to my ears) is a Music First Audio Reference mm (£10k) & MFA Classic SUT (£2800)

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast