+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD- The Planets Holst Vinyl

I'm Chris.

Default WTD- The Planets Holst Vinyl

Hi all, I'm looking for a copy of Holst's The Planets. This is a present for my father and so I would like it to be a well recorded great interpretation of The Planet suite in excellent condition. Let me know if you have something which fits the bill and if not your suggestions for great performances, beautifully recorded would be gratefully received.
    Cheers all,
    Chris
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking for a copy of Holst's The Planets. This is a present for my father and so I would like it to be a well recorded great interpretation of The Planet suite in excellent condition. Let me know if you have something which fits the bill and if not your suggestions for great performances, beautifully recorded would be gratefully received.
    Cheers all,
    Chris
    Amazon lists several in Vinyl format - including Steinberg, Karajan and Boult. These are all pretty good I think, but there are others which you can perhaps now only pick up in charity shops. There is one - I think by Vernon Handley - which has an organ outburst which many other recordings on LP (and CD?) managed to make so quiet that it wouldn't be noticed. Sargents CFP version is also worth having.

I don't know about some of the newer versions - as most of those are now only available as either CDS/SACDs/Blu Rays or downloads. There certainly are some good "modern" recordings.

I wasn't thinking of selling my LPs, but I'll go and look in the box to see which recordings I still have.
    Dave

I'm Chris.

Thanks for the info Dave, very kind of you. Let me know if you do have a copy you are willing to sell.
    Enjoy the rest of Sunday
    Chris
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.

I'm Dave.

I'll need to look through more boxes - I didn't find any of my Planets LPs last night. Is it the recording quality which you want to be very good, or the performance? They're not quite the same thing.

If you are looking for second hand ebay might give you what you're looking for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143533243417

There is always Tomita's - available on LP too - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tomita-Th...gAAOSw3olfsaZW Something very different!

I'm just wondering if this LP by George Hurst was the one with the massive organ outburst - I remember there was definitely a recording which had that - and the notes are - as far as I can tell - in the score - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holst-The...kAAOSwxt1fhyFe I still think it might have been Handley, though.
    Dave

I'm Edward.

I have in long term storage (so not available unfortunately) Adrian Boult's 1967 release (ASD2301). Always enjoyed that recording.

Discogs list several for sale from the UK and in VG+ or better condition at reasonable prices.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release...United+Kingdom
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Chris.

Edward,
    Thanks for the recommendation
    Kind Regards,
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Thanks for looking Dave. The performance is paramount but a good recording of a good performance is obviously preferable. Dont worry if one isn't to hand as there are plenty on Ebay, its just a case of identifying a performamce/ recording that fits the bill.
    Kind Regards,
    Chris

I'm James.

I'll have a look tomorrow but I'm sure I binned my dad's copy a bit back
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Loz.

Hi Chris
    I have a copy of this one in the basement with a bunch of other 'Classical' records. I have no idea of quality of recording/performance etc. I can pull it out for you if it's of interest.
    Cheers
    Loz

https://www.discogs.com/Holst-Scotti...elease/7230728

I'm Chris.

Hi Loz, thats very kind of you but that version isn't quite what I'm after. Thanks for the thought and the message
    Kind Regards,
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast