+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheap Audio Technica cartridges 30 years apart

I'm Simon.

Default Cheap Audio Technica cartridges 30 years apart

In about 1989 I bought a Dual CS505 Mk3 and had the shop fit an Audio Technica AT110E cartridge which at the time cost £21 and had won that year's What Hi-Fi award for the best cartridge under £150. I never heard the turntable with the Ortofon cartridge that came with it and I still have it, unused.

On something of a whim I just bought myself a second hand Rega Planar 3 which has come with an Audio Technica AT3600L cartridge on it. The AT3600L costs a princely £23 today but even with such a budget cartridge on it, and even with the left channel cutting in and out (it needs a resolder job in one of the phono plugs) I have heard details that the CS505 had failed to deliver.

Now, I'm extremely time-poor at the moment (I have 10-month old twins) so my question is this: is it worth my time to move the AT110E (which has recently had a new stylus) onto the RP3 - given that it could be literally weeks before I have time - or should I spend that time, when I get it, listening to records instead?

And yes, I know the answer is "try it and listen for yourself" but see above.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

I'm John.

Invest the 20 mins swapping carts, you'll atain greater pleasure by getting rid of the I wonder thoughts during the time you do get to listen.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Simon.

If I really thought I could change the cartridge in 20 minutes then I might consider it but it's something I've never done before (although I have used a protractor to fine-tune a cartridge alignment once in the dim and distant past). Also, there's the time needed for some critical listening before and afterward. I can't see it all being done in under an hour and most days I have so little time I have to choose between shaving or showering (yes - I know that's too much information but when I said I didn't have time to try it you said "try it" so you asked for it ).

Either way, I'll keep both cartridges so I can do a proper comparison when time allows (I can sell on the CS505 with its original Ortofon cartridge) but for now, if I get the time to change it, should I?
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Invest the 20 mins swapping carts, you'll atain greater pleasure by getting rid of the I wonder thoughts during the time you do get to listen.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    My sentiment exactly, if you just listen to the music you'll always have that nagging thought at the back of your mind.

Changing moving magnet carts is dead easy as you remove the stylus while you're doing the fiddley bit of screwing it to the headshell which obviously on a Rega if you have a Rega tonearm is fixed, but dont let that put you off, other things you'll need is the right sized tools for the nuts and bolts, an alignment protractor and a set of cartridge scales and a quick tip i've found useful when setting up cartridges on Rega arms is to get the point of the stylus directly below the end of the headshell, from there i've found every cartridge i've set up on a Rega arm only needed the slightest tweak to get it lined up just right.

Good luck!!

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread