+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here

I'm Steve.

I am quite well connected in the loudspeaker World.

Have hung around with Troels Gravesen, Lynn Olson, Joachim Gerhard and a few others. Can't say I always agree with everything they do or say, but it's ongoing.

Am sufficiently well versed in Physics and Mathematics to know what a Linkwitz-Riley LR4 and a Butterworth BW3 is.

Time alignment, impulse response, distortion and dispersion hold few mysteries for me. It's how it works.

My best recommendation is to hang round with people who are trying to put something back, along with making a living.

One of my favourite good people is someone you may not know:

https://ampslab.com/blog/why-build-speakers/

Michael Chua is an absolute gentleman. He has sent me details of his designs by email. And they are top class. We have talked about things. He gives it away for nothing. As do I.

I'm Max.

Thanks, I will check Michael Chua out. Had another look at Troels website, he does actually have a good number of sub-2k kits. I must have looked only at his bigger models when making the mental note that he is expensive. I can’t focus on the speaker yet though, have to clear my plate here first...

I'm Steve.

Your Von Schweikert Audio VR-1 look very competent in the 6.5" plus 1" category.

Woofer: 6.5-inch resin impregnated mica/cellulose composite cone, cast frame, high temperature voice coil, and large shielded magnet. VSA Low Distortion Motor system.

Tweeter: 1-inch composite silk dome VSA tweeter with resin impregnation, large shielded magnet and high-temp voice coil. VSA Low Distortion Motor system.

Mike Chua has fiddled around with this concept:

https://ampslab.com/starling.htm

I think he has updated it recently to tidy up the 5kHz resonance that you tend to get on the bass.

It would be interesting to see if a bit of crossover work might help your existing speakers. A thorough inspection.

I always enjoy doing stuff with older speakers.

It's the hobby.

I'm Max.

I’m not unhappy with the VR-1s, but a decent three way should have a better midrange. Since I haven’t sorted out the transports yet I can’t be sure but I suspect that the AMT tweeters of my eve audios are more resolving/have more air than my VE-1s, which is another reason why I am considering new speakers.

Re modding the VR-1s, I’m sure something can be done, but I don’t want to go down that path as I want to move beyond a small 2-way.

Those AudioTechnology-3WC by Troels look the part... if v pricy.

I'm Steve.

6" bass plus tweeter is my most hated project in the World.

And I have had a go at it. Terrible time-alignment problems.

Thin vocals. Disappointing bass. Top end is the same with any speaker.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/AT-3WC.htm

Looks alright. Vented polepieces get my approval. Horrible crossover to build.

Troels is on a bit of a thing with time-aligned designs. But it's all about the midrange IMO.

I always liked the 3 way Wharfedale E70. Double up the mids and wire them in series and you are on a roll with vocals.

And it's all about the vocals. Bass and treble just add a bit of boom and tizz.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by maximax View Post
    Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Electrostats - I have thought of those but never heard them. Must audition. The size of most models puts me off though.

Do electrostats wear/decay over time? I mean, those quads are not exactly new...
    Virtually all electrostatic speakers have a dipole polar pattern, which means almost as much sound radiates from the rear as it does from the front. Thus dipole speakers need to positioned about 2m from a rear wall. That, coupled with the large radiating surface area, means they are not especially room friendly.

Quad 57 electrostatic speakers are remarkably reliable. The power supply will use components that can be 50 or 60 years old, which means that the polarising voltage level can fall with time, reducing sensitivity. Other problems can occur if the protective covering plastic splits (either through rough handling or continual exposure to sunlight), allowing dust to accumulate on the stators which will affect performance. Otherwise they 'wear' very well - I've had mine for over 45 years without problems.
    Barry

I'm Max.

Thanks Barry, that’s good to know. I will thus have to rule out electrostats and open baffle speakers because I simply don’t have the space and flexibility. My speakers have to live around one foot off the front wall which is not ideal for any speaker. My VR-1s are designed for near wall placement, and the model by Troels mentioned above also seems to work near walls, but I suspect that only few speakers are worth their cost when placed like this.

I'm Leo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12