+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hifi or professional cd player - please advise

I'm Dennis.

I'm sure that all of us, both subjectivists and objectivists agree that everything in a system affects the sound.

So the problem becomes one of allocation of funds appropriately to the law of limiting factors in a system.

How much better will an expensive CD player sound than one half the price?
    How much better will an expensive cable sound than one at half the price?

How do I ordinate my funds to get the best sound for a given outlay?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I'm sure that all of us, both subjectivists and objectivists agree that everything in a system affects the sound.

So the problem becomes one of allocation of funds appropriately to the law of limiting factors in a system.

How much better will an expensive CD player sound than one half the price?
    How much better will an expensive cable sound than one at half the price?

How do I ordinate my funds to get the best sound for a given outlay?
    The question might be better phrased to remove price, rather worded as will a well designed CD player sound better than a half designed one ?
    as there is growing opinion the drives in modern players are not as well designed as those of earlier times

Also cables remove price as well, and instead substitute with cable, that subjectively connects you with music. This might require auditioning many cables

As for how do I ordinate funds, IMO the largest audio loss in a audio system detracting from how music actually sounds, is where funds should be allocated

My thoughts are, that this is where attenuation occurs, with every effort to preserve the capability of the source component. Simplicity of signal path
    including removing contacts, is key to attaining good result.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yesh the 91 is in a higher league, but they seem to be fetching around £800 or more which is just too much
    Precisely. I’d favour the Teac VRDS myself, but given the OP’s budget constraints, the PD-S is one to go for.

I have to say the Sony’s mentioned are very good machines. Rock solid.

I'm Srdja.

It says abovementioned Sonys don't play cd-rs

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You won't go far wrong with one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-SCD-...sAAOSwsYBfk0GF

XB790 QS and XB920 and XB930 are also good.
    I can vouch for the Sony XB930, but it is not a 'professional' CDP. For that you will have to look at the likes of units that would be used in broadcast studios; such as the Revox C221 or those made by EMT. They will not be cheap - expect to pay £500 or more for one in reasonable condition.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    The question might be better phrased to remove price, rather worded as will a well designed CD player sound better than a half designed one ?
    as there is growing opinion the drives in modern players are not as well designed as those of earlier times

Also cables remove price as well, and instead substitute with cable, that subjectively connects you with music. This might require auditioning many cables

As for how do I ordinate funds, IMO the largest audio loss in a audio system detracting from how music actually sounds, is where funds should be allocated

My thoughts are, that this is where attenuation occurs, with every effort to preserve the capability of the source component. Simplicity of signal path
    including removing contacts, is key to attaining good result.
    OP wants to know whether he should get a pro or domestic CD player. The advice is to get an LDR preamp. Classic

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

CD player differences are comparatively small, compared to what is achievable by addressing attenuation IMO

Why not do both, as results will be fantastic.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I can vouch for the Sony XB930, but it is not a 'professional' CDP. For that you will have to look at the likes of units that would be used in broadcast studios; such as the Revox C221 or those made by EMT. They will not be cheap - expect to pay £500 or more for one in reasonable condition.
    I know isn't. the o/p asked about other options too. I've owned or still own all the players I recommended.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

For the lower budget quoted I've seen cheaper Marantz players, the white ones with the coloured buttons. I'm sure there's also a common Denon model with variable pitch.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm keith.

At the risk of numpty adding to a thread from people that have had first hand experience of many cd players - which I don't:
    The sony 557esd I've got has separate power supplies and has mechanics that I still marvel at - It opens, shuts and tracks to the end of a cd in seconds, the only slow bit is me putting the cd in. The detail it retrieves is unheard on my other cd players - maybe output to a modern dac would raise that bar further.
    Ceramic feet, rubber drawer isolation, everything is steel, the display is clear from 10 paces, it has buttons for 20 tracks where most only go to 10.
    One drawback is the kss190 laser (used in some accuphase) is unobtainable, but a well cared for one imho will still last a long time. The other drawback is that it is considered by some to be a bit sharp or harsh with matched to some amps - to me it does when it is put with a sony amp (go figure?..or maybe they just become pure Japanese in presentation). I use it with older tandberg amps which softens it very nicely. I'm led to believe that it matches well with valve stuff too.
    A lower but not lesser series option is a 337 which is pretty much the same sans bells and whistles.

My three peneth from a rookie.

Keith

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast