+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hifi or professional cd player - please advise

I'm Srdja.

Default Hifi or professional cd player - please advise

Hi,

I have old modest Sony cd player and I want to buy a new one.

I'm thinking between a rackmount professional cd player or hifi cd player (maybe Marantz cd5005).

The reason is that I really like the way pro cd players look.
    And also, I have a lot of cd-r discs that I would play.

I have couple of questions?

1. Do pro cd players sound worse than hifi players (price range 200 - 300 eur)?
    2. Do pro cd players read cd-r's faster and better than hifi cd players?
    3. Are pros more reliable than hifi cd players?

Please advise on good pro cd player in that range (or maybe a bit more) if they are no worse quality and performance than hifi cd players.

Thank you

I'm Martin.

The answer to all three questions is 'Not necessarily'

IME them most important thing with any CD player is that it has separate power supplies for analogue, digital and drive sections.
    For pro look at the top end Denons. But you are looking at around £500 second hand.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Srdja.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The answer to all three questions is 'Not necessarily'

IME them most important thing with any CD player is that it has separate power supplies for analogue, digital and drive sections.
    For pro look at the top end Denons. But you are looking at around £500 second hand.
    Thank you Macca.

My question was primarily because I read that some slot players have problems with slots and on the other hand some drawer players have problems with mechanism.

My setup is not high end:

- Sony CDP Xe220 (want to eliminate)
    - Denon PMA360 (still good, maybe will buy a new one in the future)
    - Linn Keilidh LS300 - they're good

My fear is that slots are maybe not very reliable for that price range (200 - 300e) as the ones 500+ euro
    Also, if the sound quality is better on hifi I will choose that one.

So I guess it's all about reliability of cd mechanism and sound quality.

I only put cd and play, no need for some extra features.

If you guys have some proposal for either pro or hifi cd player, please advise.
    Please have in mind that I'm not buying gear frequently.

Thanks

I'm Srdja.

@Macca

I really don't know what separate power supplies for analogue, digital and drive sections means.
    I guess i'm not into that that deep (maybe I wish I was).
    Can you please give me more info on that?

Thanks

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by fuyshe View Post
    @Macca

I really don't know what separate power supplies for analogue, digital and drive sections means.
    I guess i'm not into that that deep (maybe I wish I was).
    Can you please give me more info on that?

Thanks
    The mech that spins the CD needs power
    The Digital to analogue converter needs power
    The analogue output stage needs power.

On budget machines these are all fed from one internal power supply. This affects sound quality (IMO)

Better players have individual power supplies for the three different sections, consequently they sound better. (again IMO). If you research a player you can usually find the info regarding this. Manufacturers tend to mention it in the literature if they have provided discrete power supplies. If they don't mention it then they almost certainly haven't.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jo.

Thank you Macca.

My question was primarily because I read that some slot players have problems with slots and on the other hand some drawer players have problems with mechanism.

My setup is not high end:

- Sony CDP Xe220 (want to eliminate)
    - Denon PMA360 (still good, maybe will buy a new one in the future)
    - Linn Keilidh LS300 - they're good

My fear is that slots are maybe not very reliable for that price range (200 - 300e) as the ones 500+ euro
    Also, if the sound quality is better on hifi I will choose that one.

So I guess it's all about reliability of cd mechanism and sound quality.

I only put cd and play, no need for some extra features.

If you guys have some proposal for either pro or hifi cd player, please advise.
    Please have in mind that I'm not buying gear frequently.

Thanks
    Welcome to AoS.

The difficulty is that none of us can see into the future, so whichever type you choose, pro vs commercial, slot vs. drawer, there is no guarantee of the longeivity of the unit. Once the 12month warranty has expired you are on your own, if you have bought new that is.

I have cheap CDPs that I bought 13 years ago that are still going strong in all respects (£300-330 each), and had a rubbish experience with a CDP that cost £1100. but never managed to play red-book CDs consistently and was returned to the company three times for their technicians to correct before I just gave up and chucked it in the bin.

The best we can do is research particular models and choose on the basis of reviews, and by that i mean reviews written by people that have paid out their own money for something and have the lived with it for some time. The issue may not necessarily be what kind of player, just which is the best and most reliable model I can afford of any type.

Life is uncertain and even when we take the utmost care things can fail or go wrong.

I'm Srdja.

Thank you Macca.

I guess I'll be looking for single power supply player, otherwise it will be expensive...

The question pro with slot-in vs drawer still stands...

I'm thinking about Tascam CD200, Marantz CD5005, Yahama CD300 or something like that for drawers and some Apart, Denon or Tascam for slot-ins.

I'm Srdja.

Thank you Landloper.

In other words, somebody's experience with particular models would be helpful.

Thanks

I'm Martin.

Thank you Macca.

I guess I'll be looking for single power supply player, otherwise it will be expensive...

The question pro with slot-in vs drawer still stands...

I'm thinking about Tascam CD200, Marantz CD5005, Yahama CD300 or something like that for drawers and some Apart, Denon or Tascam for slot-ins.
    I've had loads of cd players (still have about a dozen or so), if you have a budget in mind then I can recommend some if you want to buy used.

Brand new there is not many I would bother with under £1000.

There is also the option of keeping your Sony and buying a separate DAC.

Regards slot loading vs drawer - there's nothing intrinsically inferior about a slot-loading mech. Reliability is at least loosely linked to overall build quality, so a cheap player would be more likely to go bad sooner, regardless of the type of loading mech.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Chris.

Blu-ray players? Pioneer BDP RX 91...a monster but built to last.
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast