+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Yamaha A-700 Class A integrated amplifier

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Yamaha A-700 Class A integrated amplifier

I bought this just to scratch a Class A with variable loudness itch (a very rare combination indeed!) but it was untested due to the Covid rules. It does work and it is genuinely one of the best amps I've heard, but has a few foibles and needs a service. Unfortunately I have to accept it won't get done any time soon so I'm moving it on at a loss.

The good bits first, its an early 80s amp and it's 100wpc into 8 ohms. For the period this puts it into super integrated territory. It has a Class A button (and a chunky heatsink inside) which works for the first 5 watts, and combined with the variable loudness this makes it perfect for late night quiet listening.

It is rather heavy and has -20db mute and stereo/mono buttons, which only the high end Japanese amps of the time had (eg Accuphase and Luxman) so it's a nice piece of kit, one of Yamaha's last proper amps until their resurgence in recent years I'd say.

The bad news is that a couple of the inputs don't work for some reason (DAD and Tuner, maybe the switches, I don't think this has relays?) but Aux, Tape and Phono (MM and MC) all work as designed. The balance knob is a bit iffy and if you adjust it you can lose the right channel and have to wiggle it to get it back (feels like a dry solder joint) - so it's best just left alone for now!

It has also been touched up a little along the top, not noticeable in a rack but it's there nevertheless. There is also the odd minor scratch that could also be touched up in black if required.

I really think that given it's class A and has an unknown history it should be serviced before being used much. Having said that, it really does sound superb as it is when it's firing on all cylinders and would put a lot of pretty expensive amps to shame - this is not BS it really is very good.

I'm asking only £75 collected from North London. If there's no interest I'll put it away until I can get it serviced myself.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 10-11-2020 at 07:59.

I'm Lawrence.

Bump this really is one of the best amps I've heard.

I'm Lawrence.

The brochures on here give you plenty more details about the amp, there are some fancy technical features employed in the circuits.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ha/a-700.shtml

Worth signing up to the website if you haven't already, it's a wealth of information.

I'm Lawrence.

Thought this might be a nice project for one of the more technical minded folks on here, it's the best "vintage" solid state amp I've heard and I've had quite a few...

I'm Lawrence.

Bump for this classy switchable Class A integrated amp.

I'm Graham.

For non DIYs, I'd be getting this along to Henry Durant, Toprepairman in leatherhead. He has fixed up big hi-end pioneer and yamaha separates for me and always does a great job

I'm Paul.

Would you consider posting?

I'm Lawrence.

Absolutely, but at buyers risk. Could send to top repair man if preferred.

(Would also need to source suitable packaging)

I'm Lawrence.

Two nibbles but nothing definite so still available.

I'm Lawrence.

More interest, but nothing conclusive sadly.. fully serviced this will make a lovely amp up there with the best Japanese integrateds of the late 70s/early 80s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast