+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glue for use in a Quad 306

I'm Andy.

Default Glue for use in a Quad 306

Hi all, I've just recapped my Quad 306 and it still works, which amazes me! I may get the bug and start recapping other stuff, but I suspect they won't be as easy as the 306. However I need to reattach the pad that was attached to the inside of the top cover as it has fallen off. I'm not sure what the material is made of and the amplifier gets hot. What sort of glue should I be using?

I'm Geoff.

It's an anti-resonance pad. You can leave it out as it's not really important. The amp will run slightly cooler without it anyway.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andy.

True enough, but as I've got it I may as well use it if I can find the right glue. It would just be waste otherwise.

I'm Dennis.

Soft adhesive from Evostick like Dunlop Thixofix. B&Q.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Soft adhesive from Evostick like Dunlop Thixofix. B&Q.
    Thanks for the suggestion, although that has a max temperature of 70 degrees. That's probably fine but I decided to check with Quad service and they told me they don't glue the old ones back on, they just stick new ones on instead (I guess they're self adhesive). I've got the details to order a new pad, but I've not done it yet.

Truth be told I'd put some fancy Audio Note Kaisei capacitors in for the two small ones and I didn't like the results at all, despite being left playing for a week. It got to the point where I wasn't even sure if I was going to keep using it. The Kaisei were only £4 each so swapping them out for some Elna Silmic didn't cost much, but I then had a complete mare getting the second Elna in (due to my crap soldering skills). It's working now, but it's not as minty as it used to be if you look inside, so I'm not quite as bothered about keeping it 'original'. It sounds really nice though, so it was worth persevering.

+ Reply to Thread