+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PMAC AT1010 Mk6 - My new tonearm.

I'm Geoff.

Default PMAC AT1010 Mk6 - My new tonearm.

I am delighted to say that I received mine about a week ago in a flawless transaction with Angus. The arm replaces an SME IV on my TTS8000.

Today, I have properly set up the arm, paying attention to alignment, azimuth and tweaking the tracking force. I am using an Audio Technica MS-9 headshell which seems to be a brilliant match with the AT0C9ii I have, a better match than the Art1 that I generally use as my main cartridge. There's is more experimentation to be had in this area, for sure.

However I tried, I could not get the arm to align with the Stevenson protractor. Fortunately, I have a Feickert alignment gauge and it made clear that Baerwald was a better choice for my deck, headshell and armboard. Having decided on that, today, the difference was phenomenal - I have not used an arm that is so sensitive to set up before, and I have had a few. As it so newly set up I will refrain from too much information but today, my impression is that I may end up with the best sound I have had from vinyl, and yet such a simple set up with the deck into a Denon PMA850 integrated amplifier and then Yamaha NS1000.

My good friend, Ben (@Zoidburg), decided that he would like my SMEIV and it seems like he is receiving the best sounds he has had too; something else that makes me happy.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm jamie.

thats weird,i get stevenson with no problems using a ms-9 headshell,what part of the alignment cant you get?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Looking down the cantilever it is not parallel at either the first or second null point. It is perfect with Baerwald.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.

I'm jamie.

Silly question but you do know you adjust alignment by moving the head shell connector inwards or outwards?
    Are you sure the tonearm is mounted at 225 mm pivot to spindle?
    The AT-1010 is designed to use Stevenson it shouldn’t be a problem to get it.
    You are welcome to use my tonearm board that Angus has to try, it’s from my grey TTS-8000 plinth the same as yours so it’s bang on.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Thanks Jamie.

Angus made me an armboard based on your measurements. Yes, it is 225mm.

Just in case I am not doing things correctly:

I have mounted the cartridge on the inner of the lugs.
    I made sure that the gauge was at 225mm and then adjusted the headshell so that the tip was in the centre of the Stevenson cross hairs.
    I then moved the arm to position the cartridge at each alignment point. At each, the cantilever was not parallel to the alignment line.

I have a lot of turntable experience but I have not used a detachable headshell before so I may have missed something I am not aware of.

I'm jamie.

Pm sent
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Gordon.

Another silly question then: (Had to deal with this very topic with someone else with a Dr F protractor!). Do you realise that after setting the stylus into the crosshairs at Step 1 (of whatever method you chose), you then lift the protractor needle (centre to pivot) and rotate the platter to drop the stylus into the crosshairs of step 2 and step 3?
    As it says on the Dr F plate "Turn disc if nec". . .
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Geoff.

Thanks to Jamie for his help, I now have Stevenson alignment!

I'm Geoff.

So, today is a nice chance to properly set things up once more, with the Stevenson alignment that the arm was designed to use.

Strangely, despite owning seven turntables at one time and having a multitude of arm and cartridge combinations, this is the first removable headshell arm I have owned. As such, my inability to achieve Stevenson was down to my own lack of experience and absolutely not a failing of the tonearm or armboard that Angus had so beautifully created for me. With the 225mm mounting distance, true alignment can only be achieved with the adjustable headshell varying the length of the tonearm; why didn't I realise that? Thank you to Jamie for his late-night call to help.

Anyway, there is a lot of listening to be done but my intitial impressions are very good indeed.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Another silly question then: (Had to deal with this very topic with someone else with a Dr F protractor!). Do you realise that after setting the stylus into the crosshairs at Step 1 (of whatever method you chose), you then lift the protractor needle (centre to pivot) and rotate the platter to drop the stylus into the crosshairs of step 2 and step 3?
    As it says on the Dr F plate "Turn disc if nec". . .

Yes and thanks.
    I have been using the Feickert for years, with a wide range of turntables. My last post gives the reason for my failings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast