+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grace G-707 Alignment Protractor

I'm Ken.

Default Grace G-707 Alignment Protractor

A friend needed an Alignment Protractor for his Grace G-707 and couldn't locate the original Grace Protractor, so I did the CAD work for him.
    Other Grace owners might find this useful.

The Grace G-707 and G-707 mkII Arms use Alignment Geometry similar to Stevenson's.
    Like Rega and Technics, they are all similar, but not exactly the same as Stephenson's, or each other.

I used the numbers from the Vinyl Engine data base and John Ellinson's spread sheet and this is what the Grace comes out as:

Using this I made the drawing and PDF file linked below.

Grace, like Rega use an Effective Length of 237mm and a Spindle to Pivot of 222mm.
    The offset Angle however is 21deg, compared to Rega's 22deg.

Using the Grace Alignment Geometry, with their own Null Points, as I have done, mounts the cartridge well into the headshell and square to the fixing slots, no twist.

https://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/Z_038_G707_Protractor.pdf

I'm shahrin.

Print it and make sure the big rectangle actually measures 100 x 220 mm, cut out hole for spindle and it should align as intended ?
    Thanks Ken this is very convenient
    Awaiting armboard
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Kenji.

Thanks, Ken, I look forward to trying this out soon! I used the two null point protractor from the HIFI News TEST LP, with excellent results. But I am very curious how yours compares.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Fuse View Post
    Thanks, Ken, I look forward to trying this out soon! I used the two null point protractor from the HIFI News TEST LP, with excellent results. But I am very curious how yours compares.
    Look forward to some feedback.

I'm Kenji.

Well I finally found the time to print your protractor off, and check it with my alignment. Looks like my cartridge aligns almost perfectly with it! Now I have to find some good card stock to print a good copy off with. Awesome job!

Thank you so much, a nice tool to have in the arsenal.

I'm Kenji.

Also, looking forward to swapping cartridges more often, on the Grace now. Your protractor should make it a breeze!

I'm Ken.

Once you have the null points, effective length and Spindle to pivot distance, anyone with a CAD system can easily produce a template.
    You don't need the overhang or offset angle as these are the result of the other elements, always nice to check they are correct though.

+ Reply to Thread