+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Slightly Grubbily" Cheap Cartridge

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    The Japan album currently coming to an end doesn't feel bass light at all,
    What's the Japan album,Alex?
    ATB

David

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    What's the Japan album,Alex?
    Tin Drum
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

"Just when I think I'm winning, when I've broken every door,
    The ghosts of my life blow wilder than before..."
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

OK, well I am officially a tw@t... (I think my new title should be "Chilled-Out Wino & Vinyl Numpty" please Marco when you read this )

So, been not sure all the time about the bass in particular, but it was definitely fine last night with the Japan LP. Able to turn it up a bit today, when I got close up to the right speaker, WAY down on volume, and was sometimes making a really weird noise, and also I'm getting a nasty "thwack" through the speakers if I touch the headshell, or when placing the arm on it's rest. Hmmm... put the AT95e back on, and everything is fine, (albeit it has shown me what a massive step up the Nagaoka is, when working properly as the AT is tinny and a bit nasal in comparison...)

Then the penny drops - in my haste to install the cartridge on Saturday afternoon I hadn't finished the job... I noticed the tags where quite loose on the Nagaoka compared to the AT - very loose, in fact, like they could easily slip on and off... I remember coming down stairs to get my needle-nose pliers... and, ummmm

OK, so let's just say that after the first bar of Love Resurrection from Alf by Alison Moyet I've found where my bass and right channel had gone, and thankfully no nasty thumps when I touch the arm... "Rodney you plonker" springs to mind... Still, I think it is all sorted now, and I can start listening consistently and stop fretting!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234