+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Slightly Grubbily" Cheap Cartridge

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default "Slightly Grubbily" Cheap Cartridge

Rather than ruin Shane's "Dirt Cheap Cartridge" thread, what recommendations would the assembled learned gentlemen make for a "slightly grubbily" cheap cartridge? I'm thinking say £60 - £100? I'm drawn to (and have read good things) about the Ortofon 2m Red at £80 (love the design of the 2M series...)

The Nagaoka at this price point is the MP110, at £75

...but what others? Grado never get mentioned much over here, but the new Black & Green Prestiges seem to get good reviews over in their home country? I would like to spend more, but yet again an unexpected bill has landed, so prudence is the watchword!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

What are you replacing, Alex?

I fancy the Nag myself. Over the past 20 years I've had LinnK9, Arcam E77, Nagoaka MP30, Goldring Eroica (MC) and currently Ortofon 540 mkII - the Nag was the best of the lot by a margin, if that's any help.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm not sure yet! I'm picking up a 1985 Rega Planar 3 with R200 arm tomorrow night, it has an unknown cartridge, but the stylus is shot, so I will probably just replace the whole thing. I will possibly put my AT95e on the Rega, and then put whatever I buy onto the Garrard 401/SME 3009 until I can get something better, then move it on to the Rega then (I was originally going to rob the arm off the Rega for the Garrard, but don't think I have the heart to do it now, as back when it was made I was 16 and used to dribble on the window of Martins Hifi in Norwich, dreaming one day of owning a Rega...)

(Short answer - replacing an AT-95e)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Ah yes saw yourt thread about buying the Rega3 - It was a 'one day you will be mine' deck for me too. Bet you can't wait
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ralph.

Not wanting to wipe any snot and dribble off the dealer's window, but, surely a 1985 Rega 3 would have an RB 300 on it, wouldn't it??

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Marco and I have had tons of fun regarding cartridges and although I wasn't too keen on the old MP11 (too toppy for 80's systems and highly compliant), I suspect and hope that improvements were made in the interim. You're going to have to trust him though as I don't think anyone stocks them. Today, vinyl based systems are far more neutral so the Nags won't sound toppy methinks..

Ortofon should know how to design a damned good cartridge (they do) but these days, they know how to price the bloody things as well, with loads of middle men taking their cut too. The 2M-Red should be a fine pickup if you can get one at a good price, but better as the higher models may be, all but doubling the price with each stylus upgrade is blatant rip-off to me... (apologies, but I know that better diamonds are next to nothing extra in the quantities Ortofon get through...)

SOME Grado's are delightful, thre cheapest one has the most life, but this is resonance based and as the range goes up into better tips and generators, the sound gets blander and blanderzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Some of the wooden bodied reference ones of old were lovely though, but I don't know the new ones.

Denon DL110 - safe as houses, consistent performance, Sowter make a low gain transformer especially for pickups like this one and it's still around a ton I think.

I'll suggest it again - either the Stanton 680EE/681EEE mk3 or the Pickering XV15/625 depending on which is cheapest. The 625 and 680EE are very similar I believe, differing only in stylus housings as far as I can see. Marco mentioned the availability of fancy styli for these and I'd rather get one for mine rather than yet another Shure V15 pattern stylus.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Alex, any Rega with R200 will be pre October 1983..

As you all hopefully know now, the R200 is very capable indeed and the AT95e will be more than fine.

For your SME - If the headshell is removable, get a Sumiko one which will open up your cartridge options. heavier counterweights are available for "Improved" 3009's as well as the older 3009 I understand.

Depending on the SME, the Pickering/Stantons are a dead cert as they've been tried and tested over the decades. The Nagaoka's should also be a fine match as will the AT120e not mentioned above. To be honest, I'd see how much SoundHiFi will do you an AT440MLa for. if it's affordable, it'll LOVE an SME like its ancestor (AT20SLa) did.....

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    Not wanting to wipe any snot and dribble off the dealer's window, but, surely a 1985 Rega 3 would have an RB 300 on it, wouldn't it??
    I dunno, couldn't see past the green smears! To be honest, when I was 16, all I cared about was the glass platter - wow! You're right, though, the RB300 was '83, so maybe the one I bought is a bit older than '85? Iwas specifically after an R200 though, so wasn't initially bothered about the turntable. I'll see how it pans out - if it really is in "beautiful condition" it would be a shame to butcher it for it's arm (if they are the same vintage.) You can never have too much hifi, can you? (Not asking the wife that question though! )

At the moment I'm thinking it will go into guest bedroom #2 with an 80s amp andspeakers, and carefully selected vinyl set out for whoever is visiting - that would be a nice touch. 2nd system (guest bedroom #1) is turning into my 70s system - Garrard 401 into 1977 Sony TA-F4A Amp, currently looking for 70's "chest wig" speakers! (Would love a pair of NS1000Ms) And then a 70's tuner. Anyway, I digress. Back to the topic.
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 22-07-2010 at 16:26.
    Alex

Dave - you're a diamond as usual - thanks for taking the time to post. I'll explore those a bit further. Might wait another few weeks and see if I can stretch to a bit more.
    Alex

I'm David.

Alex, please remember my recommendations for souping up the Rega. I hope the main bearing oil hasn't solidified to the extent that there is a nasty dimple on the spindle bottom (a running mark is fine, but not a crater )

What SME do you have on the 401 Alex? Please can you post a piccie as you did before and the others and I can make better recommendations.

As for NS1000's, they're rather coloured you know, despite setting monitor-grade standards in the mid 70's. I never liked the upper mid sound, no matter what I did with the controls (mid at 10 o'clock, tweet at 11 0'clock) and they need huge power to open the bass up properly. get some Ditton 44's or 66's or KEF Concerto's instead and be pleasantly surprised.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast