+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trichord Dino Power Supply

I'm William.

Default Trichord Dino Power Supply

Hi Guys
    Looking for your help and advice please. Owning a MKI Dino complete withe the basic wall wart supply. I took it apart to see what was in the. Box of the PS. It appears to contain just a toroidal transformer, no diodes and no capacitors. It appears to just output to the Dino unit where I guess all the rectification and smoothing is carried out inside the unit. Therefore I assume this to be 22v ac. The toroidal is 44va.

On looking at the Dino+ supply it is fed by a 88va toroidal and the description states that there are diodes and filters inside the unit and the output is 22v dc. This is then fed from the Dino+ to the Dino via a 4 core lead, the same as it is now.

It appears then that the only difference is the original supply is 22v ac and the Dino plus is 22v dc.

There does not appear to be any modification to the Dino, just plug and play.

Am I missing something here? Can the Dino be supplied with ac or dc without any medication to the unit it self?

Many thank

Regards

William

Hi All

I have just noticed when putting the Dino back in the Rack that on the back is a diagram of of th connections is is shown as it’s a four pin plug with top +22vdc and -22vdc but also shows in brackets 18vac and 18vac
    The other two pins are both shown as 0 volts. So I guess it can be supplied by either dc or ac ( providing the voltages are correct).

If the above is right is there any advantage in using a 88va toroid and feeding the Dino with ac?

Thanks

William
    Last edited by Pegwill; 06-11-2020 at 13:53.

I'm Rob.

Having 2 power supplies one AC and one DC is very confusing. These are simply my thoughts on the matter and nothing more. If the Dino can take an AC feed then it must have on-board regulation to convert this to DC (i.e a bridge rectifier at the very least) it may also have voltage regulators after the bridge. If you can then improve the performance with the Dino + PS that is DC, then I can only assume that it acts as a DC - DC converter to provide better regulation? or a stiffer supply?

I would contact Trichord and ask them. I had reason to contact them about 20 years ago when I was fitting one of their clocks to a CD player and they were very helpful.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread