+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thanks to Barry and the Album Club

I'm Martin.

Default Thanks to Barry and the Album Club

Many thanks to Barry and the Album Club for running the 2019-2020 competition that I was lucky enough to win.

With my winnings I have purchase a couple of great LPs that have been on my "to buy" list. I'm looking forward to the next series of album suggestions.

Stay safe everyone.

Beatles abbey road cover plus jazz P1000781 by Martin, on Flickr
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Mike.

Well done Martin

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Twisted.

bravo, good choices. Not sure about the process to elect the winner. Were all the votes counted...?
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    bravo, good choices. Not sure about the process to elect the winner. Were all the votes counted...?
    🤣🤣🤣
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Curator.

The poll for each submission is open for 30 days. All the votes made during that period were added up and Martin scored the highest sum.

Any votes made after the poll has closed were ignored, otherwise it would have given early submitters an unfair advantage.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Album Club View Post
    The poll for each submission is open for 30 days. All the votes made during that period were added up and Martin scored the highest sum.

Any votes made after the poll has closed were ignored, otherwise it would have given early submitters an unfair advantage.
    So are we talking about legal and illegal votes here coz as we've seen in the news that could open a whole can of worms

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    So are we talking about legal and illegal votes here coz as we've seen in the news that could open a whole can of worms
    Indeed. My comment was meant in humour. I think the OP got it xx

Anyway, it would be a shame if album club didn't continue, though I recognise it's not well visited. I've enjoyed it, so if it has gone the way of the dodo, thanks for running it.
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Curator.

Indeed. My comment was meant in humour. I think the OP got it xx

Anyway, it would be a shame if album club didn't continue, though I recognise it's not well visited. I've enjoyed it, so if it has gone the way of the dodo, thanks for running it.
    Fear not Simon, the Album Club will return next year when I put out a call for contributors. We need about 10 -12 contibutors, so the rota will run for about a year.

My attempt to generate more interest in the Album Club, by turning it into a competition has not been really been successful, but it will continue. Judging by some of the comments here, the voting scheme by which a winner was selected has not been understood. The idea was to promote discussion of the monthly album choice by asking them to vote as well as comment. We have always had a poll for each album choice, so I thought it would be a good idea to keep the poll open for one month, the same duration as that of contributor's choice, and close it when the next contributor on the rota presented his choice, and so on. The number of votes would be added up and the contributor with the highest score would be the winner. The more people who voted would increase the score; and if the choice was a popular one, that too would increase the score.

Thus if a particular choice generated, say, 4 votes at 7/10, 3 votes at 8/10 and 2 votes at 5/10, the final score would be 4x7 + 3x8 + 2x5 = 62. The only flaw is that people may vote without comment, which defeats the purpose (as does commenting without voting). However if you, or anyone else can think of an other system, then I am open to ideas.

I should add that Martin has chosen some good titles (especially the Getz/Byrd). Well done Martin.

I'm Twisted.

However if you, or anyone else can think of an other system, then I am open to ideas.
    Well, since you have asked... I think it's a generous gesture to incentivise participation and I have no great complaint about the process. I understand the need for a time parameter, otherwise older posts have an advantage.

Two observations. We might consider whether the majority of people's responses actually occur within a month. If you find a meaningful proportion offer views within, say, six weeks, it would seem a small matter to extend the cut off a little. Secondly, I would not weight scoring by popularity. Engagement is what counts IMHO.
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

+ Reply to Thread