+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Leben and Harbeth Goodness!

I'm Neil.

Default My Leben and Harbeth Goodness!

Well, here is my system. It has gone through many many changes to get to this point with everything from Dynaudio C4s, to Shindo preamps and Pass Labs power amps going through it.
    I ended up here as I sold my last system to raise the funds to buy a house and used the money left over to essentially buy all of this at once.
    The Leben and Harbeth combo seems to have a really good synergy, Jeff Day pretty much nails it in his reviews of the various bits and pieces he has written over the years.
    I mainly listen to vinyl, but also stream a lot from my iMac using an Airport Express into an MHDT Labs Havana. It just sounds good enough for me.
    The VPI Classic is a fantastic item and I couldn't really ask for much more really.
    So the list is:
    VPI Classic turntable
    Benz Micro Wood / Lyra Lydian Beta
    Auditorium 23 SUT
    Leben RS30EQ Phono Stage
    Leben CS600 Amp
    Harbeth SHL 5s on Skylan type stands
    MHDT Havana Dac/ Apple Airport Express
    All hooked up with Kondo interconnects, Nordost Power cables and soon to be A23 speaker cables

Excuse the crappy pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Jostein.

Those Leben components look very nice. Would like to hear some of them sometime.
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Have you tried pulling the speakers forwards a bit more? harbeth and leben does seem to be a popular choice I think, judging by some of the posts I've read on the HUG...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

I'd be amazed (and envious) if you don't get boom with that speaker placement. How do you find the bass output in your room? I needed a good 0.75m away from the walls when I tried 5's to stop them booming, but I never really had the right stands.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Harbeth have always recommended free space mounting. They're not designed or balanced to be close to walls and corners, although they're surprisingly capable if used that way..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Josie.

Nice matey... Love the SHL5's
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Have you tried pulling the speakers forwards a bit more? harbeth and leben does seem to be a popular choice I think, judging by some of the posts I've read on the HUG...

Beat me to it.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Neil.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Yep I have tried them pulled out further, but they really are more balanced where they are. I was expecting some boom but haven't encountered anything too nasty. Its a strangely good room for some reason.
    I just measured them again and they are about 65cm from the rear wall and 45cm or so from the sides. Maybe the stands help... they are copies of Skylan ones but made in oak and sand filled 2/3rds of the way in each pillar. I use Herbies Thin Fat Dots between the stands and speakers too...
    cheers
    Shindo/Garrard/A23/EMT/Ortofon/Acoustic Plan/dCS

My Stereo

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilNZ View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Yep I have tried them pulled out further, but they really are more balanced where they are. I was expecting some boom but haven't encountered anything too nasty. Its a strangely good room for some reason.
    I just measured them again and they are about 65cm from the rear wall and 45cm or so from the sides. Maybe the stands help... they are copies of Skylan ones but made in oak and sand filled 2/3rds of the way in each pillar. I use Herbies Thin Fat Dots between the stands and speakers too...
    cheers
    Interesting Neil, did the Herbies work, and can you see them between the speakers and stands, l have Skylans and find they work really well....... but we always want more
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Neil.

Hi Andy,
    I would say they definitely did something. Maybe a slight focusing of the sound. But I made the grave error of changing a few things at the same time so hard to attribute it to any one thing. But I do like the idea of using something other than blutak to sit the speakers on. And the Herbies stuff is so affordable it was worth getting them anyway.
    Shindo/Garrard/A23/EMT/Ortofon/Acoustic Plan/dCS

My Stereo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast