+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for tube rolling Croft integrated anyone?

I'm Lawrence.

I beg to differ but if you're not gelling with the valves in there, you risk still not enjoying the sound when you upgrade the phono stage valves as the line stage valve may still have the same issue.

If it were me I'd spend some time listening to the digital side and if you hear the edge that bothers you then sort that first.

Once it's gone from the line stage then do some listening to the TT. If the edge has gone, job done. If it's still there then you can start rolling the phono stage valves too.

If the edge is not there with the digital side in the first place, then move straight onto rolling the phono stage.

If you sort the phono stage out first you risk overcompensating for the harshness of the line valve, and if you then have to change that to get the digital side sorted then you risk having to make further changes to the phono stage to compensate.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 06-11-2020 at 22:53.

I'm Joe.

I just rolled the Genalex Gold Lions into the phono stage of my Croft Integrated and
    it was a really bigger than expected improvement.
    The JJ's while very detailed and transparent were to my ears too much of
    a good thing.
    The Lions smooth out the glassy bite that the JJ's can exhibit and make the overall presentation
    more airy with added weight and without losing the detail.
    Since I run the Croft 12 hrs/7 days a week a new production tube is
    more practical and I'll have to save my stash of NOS tubes when I reconfigure the system down the road.
    I'm also thinking of adding a third Lion in the line stage and or trying Psvane.

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I beg to differ but if you're not gelling with the valves in there, you risk still not enjoying the sound when you upgrade the phono stage valves as the line stage valve may still have the same issue.

If it were me I'd spend some time listening to the digital side and if you hear the edge that bothers you then sort that first.

Once it's gone from the line stage then do some listening to the TT. If the edge has gone, job done. If it's still there then you can start rolling the phono stage valves too.

If the edge is not there with the digital side in the first place, then move straight onto rolling the phono stage.

If you sort the phono stage out first you risk overcompensating for the harshness of the line valve, and if you then have to change that to get the digital side sorted then you risk having to make further changes to the phono stage to compensate.

I just saw your post...thanks for the advice.
    I might revert back to the JJ's and go line stage first.
    Thanks again.

I'm Joe.

I went back to the JJ's in the phono stage
    and welcome the added detail that the Gold Lions were masking a bit.
    To be continued...

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Stowa View Post
    I went back to the JJ's in the phono stage
    and welcome the added detail that the Gold Lions were masking a bit.
    To be continued...
    If they are all ECC83s then you can now try a Gold Lion in the line stage.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Joe,

Welcome to AoS!

Apologies if I've missed it, but which tubes are you using now (your full current line up), particularly in the phono stage, if it's vinyl you're playing most often, and also what would you hope to gain, in terms of improving on the sound you currently have?

For me, if you can find good quality and reliable NOS varieties (and I've rarely struggled to do so with my amps) then, sonically, they'll knock ANY modern production tubes into a cocked hat! Quite simply, there is no real comparison.

My favourite NOS 12AX7 types are Mullard M8137s, genuine original Teslas (from Czechoslovakia, not JJ), Amperex 'Bugle Boys' (beware though as there are many fakes) and La Radiotechnique/FRT/Dario Miniwatts, shown here: https://tubedatabase.co/tubes/dario-...cc83-12ax7-mc2

Those are super-rare, but if you can find some, trust me they'll blow your mind!

IME, the key to finding the best sounding NOS tubes is always to go for the oldest vintage varieties, so for example with ECC83/12AX7s, you want late 1950s/early 60s, as that was their 'golden era', when they were constructed with the very best materials, and the main reason why modern production tubes can't compare, simply because they're grossly inferior in that respect [and now only made in China and Russia].

Furthermore, go for military spec varieties, which would've originally been used in professional applications. These are generally more robustly constructed, less microphonic, are of more consistent quality, and so liable to last considerably longer than standard types - and MOST importantly of all, when buying NOS valves from any seller, only do so if they show proper test measurements!

It's the ONLY way of having a reasonable guarantee that you'll be getting something decent, and when looking at the measurements always try and buy closely matched pairs (even better fully balanced), as that will make a BIG difference in terms of how they sound, and also how long they're liable to last.

Anyway, hope that helps

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

As an aside, this is a great place to buy NOS tubes: http://www.nostubestore.com/

Top-notch stock, mostly military spec, and great customer service!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12