+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dac that works as pre amp?

I'm Andre.

Default A dac that works as pre amp?

Looking for a dac that will work good as a pre also. Need 2 optical inputs, coax and usb from computer - and it has to be able to play MQA from Tidal. I don't need analog inputs and phono input.

Another concern is that I should magnify the signal like a traditional pre amp. Beresford or even my current Marantz HD-DAC1 don't really have enough signal out to drive my power amp enough even with volume at max.
    Marantz HD-DAC1 -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Analogue -> Hitachi HMA-8500 Mk II -> JBL Balboa 30

I'm Martin.

What's the power amp and what's the budget for the DAC?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andre.

The power amp is Hitachi HMA-8500 Mk II (rca input 47 kΩ, 1 V RMS).

Don't really have a budget. But let's say up to £ 1000 maybe.
    Marantz HD-DAC1 -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Analogue -> Hitachi HMA-8500 Mk II -> JBL Balboa 30

I'm Martin.

1V is pretty standard. Any DAC with digital volume control should be okay then. Needing 2 optical inputs and MQA decoding narrows down the options quite a bit though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Rockabilly.

Default M-DAC plus Node2i would do it, perhaps?

The Meridian Ultra DAC has everything that you desire.
    And so it should because it costs more than a new Ford Fiesta.

The Mytek Liberty DAC can juggle with MQA and has all of your input requirements bar one.
    I can't comment on the pre-amp quality.

The audiolab M-DAC has all of your input specifications and has a good pre-amp section.
    It will not digest MQA.
    However, you could use a BlueSound Node 2i to decode Tidal with MQA and feed this into the M-DAC.
    (The maximum resolution/sample rate in this case will be 24bit/96kHz.)
    This will be around your budget limit if you buy new - but you can pick these up second-hand readily.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Martyn.

I'm no great expert but my Beresford Caiman SEG/Dorado II runs into a Mission 777BU and drives as loud as anyone could need in a residential setting.

Even when SWMBO goes out and I have a Black Sabbath moment (got to be done!) I've still never had the volume beyond 50%

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

I'm Andre.

@ Poldark; I agree - I have no problem getting decent volume levels close to max with the dac alone. The Marantz HD-DAC1 dac I have put out 2,3V RMS maximum. But I found I get a much more smooth volume sweep by using the fixed output on the dac and adding a separate pre amp in between the dac and power amp. The sound also sound more full and lively at low volume levels this way. I solved this with a simple chinese made pre that is based of the legendary Marantz SC-7S2 pre amp circuit. One input, one output and a volume controll.

It looks and feels very well made with Elna and Nichicon caps + Alps volume pot. The left and right amplifier circuits are independent of the line. Power filter with 10000UF*2+ voltage regulator, transformer with full sealed shield potting.

This is a great combination, and it sounds fantastic to my ears. But now I am considering using this dac and pre amp in a different setup, and therefore on the lookout for a new "all in one" dac/pre combination that also can get me into the MQA world.

Maybe the NAD C658 would be the solution?
    Last edited by Sabaselfsit; 07-11-2020 at 20:08.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabaselfsit View Post

Maybe the NAD C658 would be the solution?
    It ticks all your boxes. The DAC is not state of the art but I wouldn't worry about that. You get DIRAC too.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Andre.

Thanks guys for your different input. Came to a conclusion and have just ordered the Teac NT-505. It has 2 optical inputs (one 'normal' at the back and a Mini Toslink-Toslink on the front panel), coax, bluetooh and usb + MQA decoder. It's also supposed to be a good pre amp with up to 6v RMS out on rca (just what I was looking for).

I'm Rockabilly.

Hi Andre,

Why did you choose the Teac over the NAD?
    Just curious!
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast