+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks.

I'm Chris.

Hi Roy
    Can you describe the fault you are observing ?. Can you identify if you think its the driver, for example is there any visible damage you are seeing, or does it just sound incorrect.

The Celestion Ditton 15 is described and reviewed here; https://audionostalgia.co.uk/celesti...ton-15-review/

As can be seen it uses a Acoustic bass radiator or ABR for short, the driven bass driver is in the middle. Speaker faults as others are saying can be diagnosed
    reasonably easily, then again there may be a fault with a crossover component, such as a capacitor or resistor. It will be good to know just where you think the fault is,
    which will help us greatly to help you.

I'm Roy.

That's interesting Walpurgis, thanks. As I said previously, I've had this set up for at least forty years, but I've never much ventured beyond changing the plug! Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments.

I'm Steve.

All you do for a basic test is connect a 1.5V battery to the speaker wires and a working bass will move forward a few mm and make a crackling noise.

It is worth gently pushing the bass cone in. If the voicecoil has not fried into a birdsnest, the cone will move freely.

Loudspeakers often develop an electrical break somewhere due to vibration.

You then unscrew the bass and have a look inside. Chris' excellent link shows you what to expect. The crossover has lots of soldered wires, any one of which might have come loose.

Bass units don't often blow. It's usually tweeters that pop after party action.

I'm Roy.

There is no sound from the base driver. I have just put my working base driver into the offending case and it is fine. Likewise, the offending driver is in the "working" case and nothing. Does this then point to the driver being buggered?

I'm Steve.

Ew, that's a bit disappointing.

Sounds like the bass unit is broken.

Back in the day, you used to be able to find someone to fix them. New voicecoil, replace tinsel leads and all that. But a bit of a lost art nowadays.

For about £40 you can buy a new one.

If you like these things, that is the route I would go down.

I am a bit weak on ABR speakers, So am not too sure what Qts is required here, but definitely fixable.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Roy.

Nice taste in music you have there.

Barry
    Barry

I'm Roy.

Well thanks Barry. Seeing your avatar reminded me that I also enjoy Indian music; Ravi Shankar obviously but also Suryakumari and Pandit Rasraj and even a bit of Bollywood.

I'm Roy.

Hello Chris, it's just got better! Second hand speaker cabinet arrived today, absolutely perfect...but I now find that I have no signal from the speaker outlet which served the faulty speaker. Is this just a coincidence? The old speaker was definitely duff. I have a Rotel amp, RX-202 Mk.2. There are four speaker outlets at the rear of the amp but only one of these functions. Any thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12