+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks.

I'm Roy.

Default Thanks.

Thank you for adding me to your group. I am by no means a Hi-Fi head, but I'm nursing my forty odd year old system into it's dotage and I need help!! I bought my stereo set up in around 1975/ 6 for the then unheard of sum of £450 (ish). It comprises of a Pioneer PL112 record deck with a Shure cartridge, not sure which model. The amp is a Rotel RX202 Mk.2. The sound comes through a pair of Celestion Ditton15 speakers. It's the speakers that are causing headaches at the moment (no pun intended). I listen to anything; early seventies rock, folk, classical, jazz, JONI MITCHELL anything but funk or soul! Can't stand it!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Roy,

Welcome to AoS - glad you decided to join us!

You say that the Celestions are a headache. May I ask in what way exactly - what is it about their sound you dislike? Also is it the original 15s you've got with the HF1300 tweeters, etc, or the later XRs?

I've got both and have no problems with either; indeed the older original 15s I find quite superb. Anyway, what I'd suggest you do is start a thread about this in Blank Canvas and others and I will pop along and see if we can help

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Roy.

Hello Marco, I don't actually have a problem with the speakers as such. One of the bass speakers has given up the ghost. I'm looking for a replacement on E-Bay etc. My speakers are Celestion Ditton 15. I'm seeing Ditton 15XR for sale, but no Ditton 15. Will 15XR fit into my speaker boxes?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

They might physically fit, but I doubt it would be compatible sonically, certainly from the point of view alone of it matching the one in your other speaker., so keep on looking for a spare one for the 15. Someone here might have one, so I'd put an ad out in the Private Exhibitions section

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Depends on your technical level how easy the fix is. Might just be a loose wire to the bass, but Wilmslow Audio can usually rustle up a new driver for you, it's a big part of their business:

https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/repa...ervice-4-w.asp

If that picture isn't a Ditton 15, I'll eat my hat!

I'm Steve.

Often it will be cheaper to buy a tatty pair with intact units than to seek out individual units. This happened with me a couple of years ago when I was after a pair of tweeters for some Celestion 5's. I was finding tweeters at 20+ quid each, but got a complete pair of speakers for £18
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

There are no new original parts available for the fifty year old Ditton 15. Second-hand is all you will find and employing any kind of alternative would probably be unrewarding.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

I might sound a bit like Michael Caine here, but not many people know this....

You can actually diagnose most speaker faults with nothing more than a screwdriver.

Rustle up a 1.5V penlight battery and a paperclip and you are cooking with gas.

I'm Roy.

Would you care to elaborate? I'm just thinking about my speakers; where there are two bass speakers per cabinet, will they both be the same? Thanks in anticipation.

I'm Geoff.

The Ditton 15 employs one actual 8" bass driver in a near central position. The lower unit is a passive bass drone with no coil or magnet and relies on the influence of the actively driven upper speaker to energise it. Basically, it resonates sympathetically at designated lower frequencies to augment the bass output of the upper drive unit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast