+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decca C4E cartridge

I'm Rockabilly.

Default Decca C4E cartridge

For private sale is one Decca C4E cartridge.
    It was serviced and fitted with an extended line contact stylus by John Wright, in 2014.

http://www.london-cartridges.co.uk/

John has optimised the cartridge for a VTF of 1.8 grams.

The cartridge is in full working order.
    The stylus has approximately 500 hours of use.
    Please see the pictures for confirmation that the stylus requires a clean, and perhaps an inspection.

The price is £600.
    This includes first class, next day postage to mainland UK.
    Payment via PayPal, please.

We all know that these cartridges can make you propose marriage and ask for a divorce, in any order and to anyone in earshot of your unipivot.
    For that reason I would prefer to sell to an experienced Decca junkie.
    Otherwise, I would prefer to sell to a keen and profoundly patient member that is prepared to give the cartridge everything it demands so as to experience dynamics like nothing else.
    Or to the first person that gives me six hundred quid.

Full Frequency Stereophonic Sound - FFSS!
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Why not give the 'stylus' a good clean with some of that 16yr Lagavulin?

Joking aside, the C4E is an excellent cartridge, but is not for the noviciate. Good luck with the sale.
    Barry

I'm Patrick.

I assumed those were the 'before' service pictures.

It's not going to work that well with all that crud on it, but I love mine (C4e and SC4e).

John Wright says you shouldn't clean the stylus with liquid as it will wick up and damage the suspension.

I'm Rockabilly.

As stated in the description, the cartridge has 500 hours on it since the fitting of the extended line contact tip.
    Please rest assured that I drink my single malt rather than clean stylii with it.

Here are some pictures after cleaning - whilst perfectly sober.

Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage

I'm Alex.

What’s the expected life of the stylus?

I'm Rockabilly.

Assuming it's a synthetic diamond, I'd estimate at 800 - 1000 hours.
    That's the lifespan that is often quoted for a generic diamond tip, it's not specific to this example.
    Johnny Dodgem.

I'm Rockabilly.

Looking for my forever home.
    Johnny Dodgem.

I'm Peter.

How well would this cartridge work in a Bokrand Ortofon 10" AS-230?
    I have read so much about how exciting Decca carts are so I am nibbling a bit. How much is a retip when the time comes?
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Rockabilly.

Hello Peter.

I'm not familiar with your arm, sorry, but others here may be.
    A full service and re-tip in the UK will cost approximately £250.
    Much cheaper than a new stylus for a MM of comparable quality.
    Johnny Dodgem.

I'm Peter.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I want to listen to a Decca cart on my modified (improved?) Ortofon AS-212 arm in the future.

I will have to wait for now as I was tempted by an Ortofon Quintet Black S.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast