+ Reply to Thread

Thread: QED cables, who's using em?

I'm Steve.

Default QED cables, who's using em?

I recently had to change to location of my system and needed some longer speaker cables. As luck had it i was storing some QED cable for my son and decided to connect that as a stop gap. I was gob-smacked as to how little difference i was hearing compared to my usual TQ speaker cable. As cheap and cheerful as it may be the QED cable sounds great. Are there any other QED users here? Show of hands please.

I'm Robert.

Which QED cable you using Steve, are you referring to the Silver Anniversary ?

I'm using QED Silver Spiral speaker cable - single run and they are excellent.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I use the original QED 79 strand cables; originally they were 10 metres long, but now I'm using mono-block amplifiers located directly behind each speaker, so the cables are now only 1 metre long.

I also have use of Van Damme 6mm2 speaker cable 1 metre long, as well as 1 metre sets of Fisual 'Hollywood', and Fisual 'S-Flex'.

I would be hard pressed to hear any difference between them, and wouldn't expect to do so since:

[1] they are very short

[2] my speakers are electrostatic, so do not need high damping and thus low cable loop resistance.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Which QED cable you using Steve, are you referring to the Silver Anniversary ?

I'm using QED Silver Spiral speaker cable - single run and they are excellent.
    XT25

I'm Steve.

Guess there isn't a lot of QED advocates here? I will put it out on another forum just out of interest.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I have a QED optical in my system. Other than that I’m all Audioquest and Chord.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I recently had to change to location of my system and needed some longer speaker cables. As luck had it i was storing some QED cable for my son and decided to connect that as a stop gap. I was gob-smacked as to how little difference i was hearing compared to my usual TQ speaker cable. As cheap and cheerful as it may be the QED cable sounds great. Are there any other QED users here? Show of hands please.
    Which TQ was it? QED cables in my view are great value but easily improved upon for not much more cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Rich.

I'm afraid its a big no for me on their speaker cables. I also find them easily bettered by even the most basic of budget offerings. Including Richers own stuff.

I've a couple of their basic interconnects I use in my mixing set up and they're OK and robust enough.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Jo.

Default >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Over the years I've used QED Qunex Silver Spiral 0.5m interconnects, QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire speaker cable, and QED X-Tube 350 speaker cable, as well as QED SR75 coaxial cable, and a QED HDMI Reference SR.

The Silver Spiral ICs and the XT-350 cabling shared the same virtues and the same defect. I found both seemed to be well-detailed and offering an above average sense of depth to the sound field. The XCT-350s seemd to me to be particularly adept at creating a depth of field that no other cable I've used before or since has been able to match. However, both the Silver Spiral ICs and the two speaker cable types suffered from offering a brightly lit top register. That failing outweighed the other traits mentioned above. I have Cyrus amplification and Spendor speakers and try as I might I couldn't tweak away that unyileding top register. I lived with it for a while before acknowledging that the result was unbalanced.

Once I swapped out the QEDs for Cyrus ICs and cabling the problem was resolved. There is not the depth of field that i used to admire but the sound offered seems balanced, with each element being properly matched and integrated.

Sometimes what initially grabs your attention as outstanding proves to be just too much to live with. That was my experience, others may have had more profitable outcomes.

I'm Mike.

i've used QED mainly coz i got it all for free from the rep, silver anniversary was the stuff i got with the airloc connectors and it was good if a little stiff. personally i'm not a big believer in mega expensive cables, good quality yes by all means but stupid expensive coz it's been wrapped in unicorn fur which apparently makes the sound soooooo much better then no. At the moment i'm running Van Damme inter connector cable, nice and flexible decent SQ and free from the big drum of the stuff we have at work and Neutrik connectors as again i get them free from work.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread