+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NETFLIX

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Really enjoyed The Queen's Gambit, and it does no harm that Anya Taylor Joy is fooking gorgeous as well as a great actress.
    Agreed it was great. Needed more episodes.

Her alcoholic Mum wasn't too bad, either

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    DVD, lol... What are those?

Surprised it wasn't VHS tape, haha! You need to treat yourself to a Bluray player, or if you've already got one, buy Bluray discs. DVDs as old hat. muchacho.

Marco.
    I've got 2 blu-ray players lol. I don't find the improvements with blu ray to be worth the extra moolah, DVD more than good enough. Video quality is not a hobby for me like audio quality is, so adequate is fine.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Fair enough - 'adequate' is never enough for me, with ANYTHING I don't 'do' adequate, dude... Simply NOT in my vocab!

Have you revisited it though, since you got your new telly? Is that 4k? If so, you'd need to be blind not to see the difference with HDR discs...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Fair enough - 'adequate' is never enough for me, with ANYTHING! I don't 'do' adequate, dude... It's not in my vocab.

Have you revisited it though, since you got your new telly? Is that 4k? If so, you'd need to be blind not to see the difference with HDR discs...

Marco.
    No, I do see the improvement, just not bothered enough to care. I was happy with VHS and I still have a working player and a lot of tapes. When DVD and digital surround sound came out I was straight on it but just never got heavily into it like with audio but I did work out the things that actually matter to me:

Big screen
    Good contrast ratio
    Clear dialogue
    No clipping (Which is why I don't use an A/V amp, even the big ones clip too easy IME).

Which boxes I've all got ticked. Although I should have got the 65 inch instead of a 55. I chickened out.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

big difference from dvd to bluray on good gear and film.. the 4k to bluray is much shadier imo unless you have a big set or sit really close. 4k down mixed to hd is preety much same on most house gear. just my opinion
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, I do see the improvement, just not bothered enough to care. I was happy with VHS and I still have a working player and a lot of tapes. When DVD and digital surround sound came out I was straight on it but just never got heavily into it like with audio but I did work out the things that actually matter to me:

Big screen
    Good contrast ratio
    Clear dialogue
    No clipping (Which is why I don't use an A/V amp, even the big ones clip too easy IME).

Which boxes I've all got ticked. Although I should have got the 65 inch instead of a 55. I chickened out.
    Fair enough; I'm quite different in that respect, as I like to create a 'snap shot' of the Odeon in my living room, but done well, minus the din of unwashed chavs munching on popcorn!

Therefore, every aspect of the experience, from the lifelike clarity of the picture, to the 'shock factor' of the sound, when reproducing gunfire and/or special effects, has to feel 'real' - and with explosions I *MUST* feel the crunch of bombs going off and the room shaking a little, to successfully achieve that effect. All of which I've successfully managed to do, with NO audible clipping!

The only things I'll be changing with my home-cinema system is when this TV 'goes pop' (as it will NOT be replaced before then, simply to follow fashion), I'll go for a bigger screen (OLED), and move from 48" to probably 55". No bigger than that though, as unlike you, I'm not 'impressed' or excited by huge, ugly, flat-screen TVs, especially when they're not being used!

Then I want to change my AV amp for a Denon Dolby ATMOS one, and possibly fit some ceiling speakers, to facilitate that, then upgrade my rears to Celestion Ditton 11s - and that'll be me DONE, for years

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Picture size always my number one criteria - that's the main thing about the cinema for me, the big screen. The rest is secondary.

Anyway have you started watching any 'Trailer Park Boys' yet? There's a film too although IIRC it is set after the events of the series so you might want to watch it all in the right order.
    Current Lash Up:

Not yet, but it's *totally* on my 'To Do' list, so it'll happen sometime over the weekend

I intend to go through the list of reccos and try them one by one, but had a few of my own to sort out first. Gonna watch Ghosts of War tonight, as that seems right up my street

Summary:

"Five battle-hardened American soldiers assigned to hold a French Chateau near the end of World War II. However, they encounter a supernatural enemy far more terrifying than anything seen on the battlefield."

Marco.
    Main System

I'm matt.

Life on Mars is an old but good series.
    Stranger Things is excellent.
    Deadpool.
    Ash vs Evil Dead - Lacks a bit of something to start with but gets better and better IMO.
    Enjoyed the 1st Season of American Horror Story.
    Mindhunter.
    After Life.

Edit:
    Forgot Cobra Kai
    I also enjoyed watching Rick and Morty with my son. He laughs his head off.
    Last edited by fatmarley; 07-11-2020 at 19:25.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast