+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NETFLIX

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    +1 for "Haunting of Bly Manor". I recommend this one Marco, I know you like a good horror (why you have so many mirrors at home) You'll find it satisfyingly creepy.
    Watching it now!

Just one thing... Does anyone else notice that the sound levels on Netflix are rather low, compared with, say normal TV? I find I've got to turn the sound up considerably, in order to get the realism and 'presence' I seek from the content - then when switching back to normal TV, I get blasted!

That's not right - whoever's in charge of the techy stuff at Netflix needs to ramp up the levels a bit, so they're in line with other stuff! That doesn't apply to, say, the output on Sky, which is fine.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Anyway have you started watching any 'Trailer Park Boys' yet? There's a film too although IIRC it is set after the events of the series so you might want to watch it all in the right order.
    Caught a couple of them earlier, and yes funny as fuck!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

The Queens Gambit is worth a watch

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Watching it now!

Just one thing... Does anyone else notice that the sound levels on Netflix are rather low, compared with, say normal TV? I find I've got to turn the sound up considerably, in order to get the realism and 'presence' I seek from the content - then when switching back to normal TV, I get blasted!

That's not right - whoever's in charge of the techy stuff at Netflix needs to ramp up the levels a bit, so they're in line with other stuff! That doesn't apply to, say, the output on Sky, which is fine.

Marco.
    Higher dynamic range, it's a good thing really. You just have to remember to lower the volume before switching to a channel that's more compressed. In some cases it isn't the level the channel broadcasts at, it's how the sound was recorded. I often find I have to crank up the volume with a film but when the advert break kicks in the sound blasts me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Higher dynamic range, it's a good thing really...
    Is that actually true though, or simply that the levels are just MUCH lower than normal - and by 'normal' I mean compared to the likes of Sky or Virgin movies, not bog-standard TV.

Do they quote any measurements to back up your theory? For me, it doesn't seem that way, and ideally the levels should be tweaked a bit.

Plus, as I use a centre speaker (and fronts) in my home-cinema set up, I'm finding that the sound balance is different from normal, with less coming through the fronts and much more through the centre, especially with programmes or movies not recorded in 5.1 surround sound.

It's fine, but something I'm going to have to get used to, and interesting that Nefflix has chosen this different approach.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Darren.

Higher dynamic range, it's a good thing really. You just have to remember to lower the volume before switching to a channel that's more compressed. In some cases it isn't the level the channel broadcasts at, it's how the sound was recorded. I often find I have to crank up the volume with a film but when the advert break kicks in the sound blasts me.
    +1. I agree with everything bar the last sentence, one of the biggest advantages to streaming is little to no adverts.

Marco, what device are you streaming on / which Netflixs package do you have?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Grant.

I think netflix default is 5.1 audio so if your not using 5.1 then it can affect output... but i agree it is a bit quieter, as are nature blurays like Attenborough.. they always seem to start quiet and build up then as they switch to next scene, it stars low again. not sure what goes on there. might be some hardware sound protection.. or it again might be the 5.1 kicking in.. i guess you could try setting audio to 2 channel and see if it changes
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Marco, what device are you streaming on / which Netflixs package do you have?
    Dunno, mate. How would I check that? Friends of ours added us to their 'list', or something, and we gave them something for the trouble, so we log-in via their account.

Do you know what I mean about the sound, though? This was most noticeable with The Irishman, as 90% of the sound was coming through the centre speaker, and only the occasional 'sound effect' through the fronts.

In that respect, it was a bit like listening to an old movie in mono. Plus the levels for that film were particularly low. Probably had to add a good '10/12' onto the number (amp level) I normally play movies at with Sky or Virgin.

Do you find the same?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Is that actually true though, or simply that the levels are just MUCH lower than normal - and by 'normal' I mean compared to the likes of Sky or Virgin movies, not bog-standard TV.

Do they quote any measurements to back up your theory? For me, it doesn't seem that way, and ideally the levels should be tweaked a bit.

Plus, as I use a centre speaker (and fronts) in my home-cinema set up, I'm finding that the sound balance is different from normal, with less coming through the fronts and much more through the centre, especially with programmes or movies not recorded in 5.1 surround sound.

It's fine, but something I'm going to have to get used to, and interesting that Nefflix has chosen this different approach.

Marco.
    That's why I gave up on using centre speakers. Phantom centre is superior IMO.

No idea about the Netflix sound transmission. But if you think about it, when they record a film soundtrack they don't use much compression, but for an advert or regular TV show they will as they are not going to be shown in a cinema with its super-fancy sound system, it has to be mixed and mastered so Doreen with her old mono speaker CRT TV can hear it with no problem.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

That's why I gave up on using centre speakers. Phantom centre is superior IMO.
    Not for me, up until now, lol! It's super-duper when playing Blurays or Sky/Virgin movies - no comparison really, as I have it all really well set up

No idea about the Netflix sound transmission. But if you think about it, when they record a film soundtrack they don't use much compression, but for an advert or regular TV show they will as they are not going to be shown in a cinema with its super-fancy sound system, it has to be mixed and mastered so Doreen with her old mono speaker CRT TV can hear it with no problem.
    Yes, and I think that might be the problem, so the output has been mixed with that in mind. Surprised though that no-one else here using Netflix, with proper home-cinema setups has commented on the issue?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast