+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TD160 Motor knock

I'm Mike.

Default TD160 Motor knock

As some of you know i recently acquired a Thorens TD160, not because it's the best deck in the world but it's the deck that has a great many memories for me and was the deck my late father gave to me which started my ongoing love of HiFi, sadly i no longer have that deck, but earlier on this year it became an itch that i needed to scratch and as i've mentioned i got another one.

So bringing everything up to date, i got a deck, an arm and went about some restoration and upgrading, however the motor which must be as old as i am has started knocking, i've purchased a thrust bearing but it hasn't helped, is there anything else i can try or would i be better off looking for a new motor?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Grant.

Check belt is OK. Also the suspension can cause that if its out of kilter a bit.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Have you checked the motor bearings for wear (lateral slack) and endfloat?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

It has a new belt, the suspension has been adjusted and levelled, i've oiled and serviced the motor as much as possible even adding a thrust bearing as i've read that endfloat is often the cause of the knock, i have noticed that there is a slight wobble as the pully spins round, i'm not sure if the wobble is actually from the motor shat or the pulley, but maybe the motor has had a knock through it's life, the deck the motor is from is a MK1 so it didn't have the protection post which was fitted to later models and maybe the motor has suffered minor damage which i can only assume happened years ago and has had a cumulative adverse affect.

I'm Grant.

did it start with new belt? yes the shaft could be loose slightly or be bent. thrust plate issue too. if you can run it on its side you might see whats causing it. they are fairly simple so there isnt too much can cause it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    did it start with new belt? yes the shaft could be loose slightly or be bent. thrust plate issue too. if you can run it on its side you might see whats causing it. they are fairly simple so there isnt too much can cause it
    The deck hadn't been used in years, once i rebuilt it initially i ran it with it's original belt and noticed that it had a knock and that it was running a little fast, so i changed the belt and got a thrust bearing, the motor speed is still a little fast but not so much as it has an audible effect and probably stylus drag will slow it down to so it's as close as damnit, but the motor knock is a persistent problem, i'll do some further checks as suggested

I'm Geoff.

What oil did you use on the motor bearings? If it's too thin you might get some chatter, but not something that could really be described as knocking.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What oil did you use on the motor bearings? If it's too thin you might get some chatter, but not something that could really be described as knocking.
    3in1 believe it or not, 1 drop that's all and apparently it's the oil recommended by many as the best to use on the platter bearing which surprised me a bit.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    3in1 believe it or not, 1 drop that's all and apparently it's the oil recommended by many as the best to use on the platter bearing which surprised me a bit.
    Should be OK.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Should be OK.
    were you expecting some sort of elaborate oil infused with ground unicorn horn and dragon blood costing thousands a drop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast