+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Funk Firm Houdini review

I'm Kevin.

The isolator is a use once affair, as you cannot get new glue.
    I have not compared the Houdini directly, as I don’t want to peel the isolator off the Music Maker Classic it is fitted to.
    I do know that the Houdini works well, but I have never heard the MM without the isolator, so I don’t know how much it adds to the great sound of this cartridge.

They have the same function, but they are vastly different. The Funk is more complex.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm peter.

The isolator used double sided tape 3m , if you want some i will give you some, there was a reuse one launched, how is the funk more complex ? in the way it is fitted? but still used the same principal as lens,

I'm Kevin.

The Funk one is more complex in the way that the cartridge is able to move easier, in certain directions.
    It is not a block of foam between two metal plates (simplified).
    Kevin

I'm peter.

when you say easier how? as it is molded foam , material , in the first place, do you mean it is more ridged ?

I'm Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    so the funk is not on the directly on the tonearm should it be to get the review correct ?
    not every one will have the graphite spacer ,
    Ortofon Kontrapunkt Moving Coil cartridges are tall, and you may not be able to use the funk on the michell TT, because there is may not be enough VTA to fit it ,
    I have the Houdini on an Orbe/SME IV and the spacer is used on the SME arm as otherwise the headshell would not allow the Houdini to fit directly, ie the shape would foul the fitting. This does mean that for me the VTA adjustment is at its highest to accommodate the Houdini plus AT Art9 at a level arm setting. I cannot raise the arm any higher so a deeper cartridge than the Art9 would need to be happy tail down. I had considered making or getting taller spacers for the Orbe armboard to allow further adjustment.

I'm Jonathan.

The Houdini is fantastic btw. Greater dynamics, notes start and stop as they should. Very pleased.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    when you say easier how? as it is molded foam , material , in the first place, do you mean it is more ridged ?
    What is moulded foam?
    Kevin

I'm peter.

i guess you have to move the arm Pivot to spindle to use the Houdini , the one i use you do not, is it set at 215.35 , and you move the cartridge into the correct position , so my 309 is now set at the same Pivot to spindle as the same V , with better tighter cleaner music , and is decoupled , but is one piece ,

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by bosa View Post
    The Houdini is fantastic btw. Greater dynamics, notes start and stop as they should. Very pleased.
    Yep... it's an amazing little thing.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

A little update on this.

Still going strong and still sounding amazing.

Simply put... if you haven't already, this is something you just have to get.

https://www.tannoyista.com/2020/11/t...-achromat.html
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast