+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Funk Firm Houdini review

I'm Kevin.

Have you not removed the additional spacer yet?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Have you not removed the additional spacer yet?
    No, it's still in place. I need it to get the angle of the arm correct, especially with the achromat in situ.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mike.

It might be great but £300 is a ridiculous amount of money for what it is and yes people will go on about R&D and the vinyl market being relatively small but i'm sure far more people would be tempted by it if it was more reasonably priced

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Josie.

lol... Well, I've seen other small things in hifi costing more.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    lol... Well, I've seen other small things in hifi costing more.
    Yes cartridges i know, but they are far more intricate, you can appreciate the time and the effort not to mention the amount that must fail QC, the Houdini isn't in the same league, I don't mind paying a lot of money for something when i can see where my money has gone, i really struggle with this.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Yes cartridges i know, but they are far more intricate, you can appreciate the time and the effort not to mention the amount that must fail QC, the Houdini isn't in the same league, I don't mind paying a lot of money for something when i can see where my money has gone, i really struggle with this.
    You struggle with it? That is fine, but you will never know if it offers VFM if you don’t try one.
    And if you don’t try one, you won’t miss it when you take it out. There is no obligation.
    I am not sure how many parts are in a Houdini, but I am pretty sure it is not just a lump of sorbothane between two plastic shells.

Some people pay more for a bit of copper in a fancy sheath, but each to their own.
    I would have been happier if mine was cheaper - that is human nature.

However, I will put this in terms you will easily understand (and I don’t mean that in a rude or condescending way). This costs less than the difference between the old Art-9 and the repackaged version.
    It elevates the performance of your vinyl, and I hope it never wears out, so in comparison to a good MC cartridge, I deem it VFM, which is why I bought one.

Like I have posted elsewhere, it is a Marmite product.

I like Marmite. Maybe you don’t?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    There are plenty of things you could spend equally on in hifi but in my view, sonically, it's certainly worth £300.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    You struggle with it? That is fine, but you will never know if it offers VFM if you don’t try one.
    And if you don’t try one, you won’t miss it when you take it out. There is no obligation.
    I am not sure how many parts are in a Houdini, but I am pretty sure it is not just a lump of sorbothane between two plastic shells.

Some people pay more for a bit of copper in a fancy sheath, but each to their own.
    I would have been happier if mine was cheaper - that is human nature.

However, I will put this in terms you will easily understand (and I don’t mean that in a rude or condescending way). This costs less than the difference between the old Art-9 and the repackaged version.
    It elevates the performance of your vinyl, and I hope it never wears out, so in comparison to a good MC cartridge, I deem it VFM, which is why I bought one.

Like I have posted elsewhere, it is a Marmite product.

I like Marmite. Maybe you don’t?
    Mmm... Marmite!

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mike.

I wonder if they did a month trial or full refund like loads of mattress companies do if they would get many back

I'm malcolm.

I bought and played with one for a couple of months (which meant I couldn't return it via the 30 day trial) in order to test it on a few decks and a number of cartridges. I had mixed results with it, it could sound good but not light and day improvement IMHO and it really didn't seem to work well at all with some cartridges, this was agreed by a friend of mine who also tried one - (he is a German hifi reviewer). Early on I had some correspondence with Arthur but once I said I was having problems with some cartridges he said he would investigate but that was the last I heard from him - bear in mind I had one of 'pre public release' ones. I eventually decided to sell it on for somebody else to try, maybe they would have better results, and made a huge loss on it.

So I agree with some of the previous statements that you really do have to try it - to see if it works for you - but you also have to be prepared to be disappointed and I also agree with others that it is a lot of money (more so to some than others) to risk.

I would also ask if any of the positive reviewers could declare whether they received a complimentary Houdini to review?
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast