+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Neurochrome Modulus-686

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubi View Post
    What i am struggling to reconcile (it seems you were struggling with it too) is the multiple coflicting or contradicting statements you make in them

Soekris - BT2 - 686

I listened to about an hour with this sytem and my final thoughts were that it was a touch analytical and that it confirmed what I thought of digital. If you want a digital system or play digital music predominently this would be a killer system. I have not heard better. Nothing is missing and nothing taken away. There is lots to revel in and enjoy. It can make you marvel at some digital recordings which sound magnificent through this sytem. It does not make the error of plunging down the total detail at the expense of the music route. There is a very nice balance to the BT2 and 686 in this respect and enough weight and warmth and a see through presentation to the recording. This is the best digital set up i have heard in this respect.

You say:

"nothing is missing and nothing is taken away"

"If you want a digital system or play digital music predominently this would be a killer system. I have not heard better"

"This is the best digital set up i have heard"

Here you are actively recommending " the most souless amplifier i have ever heard" :

"I think the 686 would be your dream amp Martin. It has almost no character of its own and is as neutral an amp I have ever heard. Every other amp I have listened too imparts some character like speakers do but the 686 does not. It is as transparent as air, yes the window is not even there!"

Then there is this:

Immediately plugging in the 686 things were different this time. Superb clarity, very clear cut soundstage and totally balanced sound from top to bottom. The soundstage was no smaller or larger than my current Series 7 so this was good. This amp has everything. Tonal quality, dynamics, detail in massive ammounts, super smooth grain free sound. Natural and excellent control not only in the bass region but over every frequency...no sibilance! Overall impression Clarity, clarity, clarity. Thats what I wrote in my notes. Fabulous amp and I have to agree with everyone elses opinion on how this amp performs.

The transparency and neutrality of this amp is reference class. I have not heard better anywhere. What a relief to hear what it can actually do. It complimented my Croft 25R superbly. A marriage made in heaven

And once again, you heavily compliment a 686:

In a digital set up it shows total precision and such amazing clarity it is breathtaking! With the inherent low noise floor and wide dynamic range of digital it really is the ultimate tool to convey what was mastered on the recording. Olivers BT2 helps this process very well too.

There is absolutely no sound signature to this amp it is almost invisible yet present at the same time like wind. Yes I know I am talking in slightly illusive terms but the 686 is a special amp and would suit very much those who do not want any character to be imposed on the music they are listening too. I feel this is almost impossible to do with any other piece of gear in the music chain.

Your words have changed whilst you have transfered your opinion from one forum to another.
    I have not even posted any of my review on this forum so your assessment is not accurate.

I am allowed my own opinion whether that is science based or listening based, unfortunately your assessments of equipment seem to be science based which only gets you so far, it certainly does not tell you how something will eventually sound.

The review and everything I have written and your have so painstakingly highlighted ( worryingly) I stand by and do not change.

So what is you issue?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubi View Post
    I dont post here very often. I don't post anywhere often.

The "Flat Earth" opinions that surrounded this hobby in the 70s & 80s pushed me to abandon the HiFI "people" , magazines and then later forums.

I am once again going to leave forums to those who enjoy discussing HiFI but i wish to leave you with this:

If you get your temperature taken by a Dr, and the gadget they use is acurate to 0.00001%, would you argue with their result or the "accuracy" of it with an opinion based on what your mother thinks by placing her hand on your head? No, i don't think you will. You may prefer having mothers hand on your head than a thermometer up your arse, but when you want accurate results you use the Dr's gadget.

Science is accurate, your ears are not. Your preferences are not science, they are opinion.
    I am allowed an opinion and usually I base it on what I hear rather than what can be measured.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am allowed an opinion and usually I base it on what I hear rather than what can be measured.
    I don’t understand the “attack” on you Jimbo to be perfectly honest.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I don’t understand the “attack” on you Jimbo to be perfectly honest.
    Sometimes folk cannot accept your view or opinion may differ from there own?

I'm Kevin.

It is a straightforward assembly job, more mechanical than electrical I think. If you can wire a plug you can build one of these!
    Unless you buy fully populated boards, there is more to it than that.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Unless you buy fully populated boards, there is more to it than that.
    Of course Kevin, dont know too many folk who have not built it without using fully populated boards?

I'm Kevin.

Of course Kevin, dont know too many folk who have not built it without using fully populated boards?
    The complete set are only available by special request. There was no option on the website when I bought mine.
    The amp boards are pre-built now, as is the soft start.

I had to populate the PSU boards and the guardian 686.
    Kevin

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The complete set are only available by special request. There was no option on the website when I bought mine.
    The amp boards are pre-built now, as is the soft start.

I had to populate the PSU boards and the guardian 686.
    When I looked recently there were populated 686 Guardian boards and PSU.

I'm Edward.

Well regardless of the science or listening ears (or both) I'm looking forward to hearing the 686 Alan kindly built for me. Not had a chance yet too listen (in the middle of a house move). The amp is currently with a friend who reports things like "massive 3d soundstage", "very smooth", "real sense of power" "bass very well defined" "effortless" and so forth. It will be interesting trying it with different preamps. Probably the main pre will be the Phast 6SN7 pre and secondly the passive LDR.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Kevin.

When I looked recently there were populated 686 Guardian boards and PSU.
    You are quite right. May be I should have waited.
    It adds quite a bit to the price though, even when considering the parts cost.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast