+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neurochrome Modulus-686

I'm Kevin.

Default Neurochrome Modulus-686

After upgrading my speakers to some Triangle Esprit Antal EZ, I want a bit more power than my Modulus-86 or Firebottle Monos can provide.

As I like the sound of the Modulus -86 amplifiers I currently have, I have decided to build myself a Modulus-686.

This is my first DIY build, so to test my skill/capability I started with the Guardian 686 speaker protection module. This is something I completed during the 1st confinement here in France, but I did not get round to testing it. It is now tested, and as we head into a second confinement, I have decided to build the power supply boards.

The target is to build a dual mono version in a large case. For this, I need two power boards. They were ordered last week, and have already arrived. I am mot waiting for the parts to arrive from Mouser before I start building them.

This is going to be a long term build, to spread the cost out a little.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Alan.

Funnily enough I am also building a 686 amplifier for someone. Shall I posts pics on here?

I'm stuart.

I’ve just completed my dual mono 686, well, when I say completed I mean it’s playing music but still some work to do on tidying it up. I’ll see if I can post a pic later to show the inside
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Funnily enough I am also building a 686 amplifier for someone. Shall I posts pics on here?
    Why not. It will give me an idea of what mine should look line.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Out of interest, what transformers are you guys using?
    I was thinking 2 off 2x24v 400VA, but someone has suggested 600VA. Price difference is not great, so is it a good idea?
    Kevin

I'm Ian.

I had an email from Tom yesterday about the release of 686 Rev 1.1 - is this what you guys have got?

I'm Kevin.

That is what I am going to get. I need to shift some gear before I place my order.
    Kevin

I'm stuart.

I used two 25V 400VA Audio Grade from Toroidy, if you get bigger VA make sure they fit in the case as I almost made that mistake. Mine is a fairly big case and there's not a lot of room left. Internal dimensions of my case are: Width= 330mm Height= 142 mm Depth = 300 mm

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm Kevin.

I have been advised to use 2 x 24V to allow for higher voltage on the mains.

That looks like a tight fit. One of the reasons I am looking atba 4U or 5U 400mm deep case. I just need to make sure it fits in my rack first.
    Last edited by CageyH; 04-11-2020 at 10:00.
    Kevin

I'm Ian.

If anyone is after a case for their project I have this spare.

Great heatsinks If you are interested pm me and we can talk details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast