+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding and modifying my Lentek head amp

I'm Darren.

It looks so pretty now Anthony's finished with it!

I did look into modding the Lentek, but from the point of view of the power supply i.e. the Battery. If I am to keep the Lentek I'd make it external, not that I expect any audible benefit from doing this, but it would make the process of changing the battery a lot more user friendly! This would then give the option to run multiple 9v batteries in parallel or better still a smart rechargeable 9v pack, which I would hope would offer an audible benefit due to the increased amperage, but even if it didn't it would mean extended battery life and a means to test battery power.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Rob.

I tried changing the battery for an external regulated PSU all I got was hum dunno why so reverted back to battery

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Marco, I'm glad your enjoying yourself again. It's nice to see you post on a regular basis. I decided against toying around with head amps. I didn't really see the need for another box in the signal path. I must admit to still using a SUT with my Cadenza Black on the 1210. I'm afraid I'm enjoying vintage MM's + valve phonostages to worry too much about head amps. I never really gelled with the 103 and I've owed the 103R, 103M and the 103 stock. I'll not be visiting the 103 stable. I'm having way too much fun with the SC35C and EAR834P combo.
    Fair enough, Andy, and thanks. My hiatus from 'hi-fi shenanigans' was only liable to be fairly short lived, as my passion for it has always remained. It was simply that I was more involved with my other interests and hobbies, especially when life was more normal and the weather was good. However, with the lockdown situation and now the winter months arriving, my interest in hi-fi has been rekindled!

In terms of what you've said about the 103, can I ask if you've ever used it in a high-mass arm, say a typical Jap one with a detachable headshell, such as I use, or the likes of an FR64, or just on your usual, is it, SME V? If not, then that would ably explain why you've never got on with it, as quite simply it won't work properly on that kind of arm.

For a 103 to sound right, the headshell alone has to be (min) 16g. It also sounds much better when used through an MM phono stage, together with either a head amp or an SUT, than through a standalone MC stage, hence why I've put so much effort into optimising the performance of those types of devices I use with it, the Lentek being a case in point.

However, I'm glad you're enjoying the SC35C, with your EAR, which I'm sure sounds fab. As you know, I'm a big fan of that cartridge, again when optimally set up and partnered - and IME it's as fussy in that respect as a 103! How did you get on with the NOS stylus you bought, and have you added any further capacitance, by experimenting with loading?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterD View Post
    Hi Marco
    Good job !but isn’t it cheating not doing it yourself
    I did something similar though interesting re the chalcrofts might investigate that.
    I did Kiwame resistors ,Nichicon and Wima caps with CMC phonos and
    Audio Origami output lead bested a Puresound T10
    Lol - I guess it is cheating,, but I wanted the thread eventually to archive on a part of the forum where it'd be most relevant to those interested in the topic

Interesting that yours bested a T10, which in itself is a nice bit of kit and considerably more expensive than the Lentek, even when modded.

I'm not a big fan of Kiwames though, finding them a bit warm sounding for my tastes (good for 'taming' some digital circuits, though), and with the Lentek. given what I've learned now, I'd always retain the Tants. Wimas in any other circuit would almost certainly be better, but for me the Tants are a big part of what gives the Lentek its 'proper' sound

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Aye , excellent work . Good to see you getting into modding again Marco . Your posts in this area are always detailed and interesting
    Hi Brian,

Cheers, mate. As you know, Anthony's top notch, plus him and I generally agree on where to take projects like this, sonically, so he's easy to work with, and of course also a good friend

I always try to make these types of threads as interesting and informative as possible, as indeed I did with the Techy threads, while I was going through my journey of modding it, or indeed with anything else I've done similar things to. For me, it only works right if you focus on the details, and do things as methodically and correctly as possible, rather than rushing things through impatience

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Fair enough, Andy, and thanks. My hiatus from 'hi-fi shenanigans' was only liable to be fairly short lived, as my passion for it has always remained. It was simply that I was more involved with my other interests and hobbies, especially when life was more normal and the weather was good. However, with the lockdown situation and now the winter months arriving, my interest in hi-fi has been rekindled!

In terms of what you've said about the 103, can I ask if you've ever used it in a high-mass arm, say a typical Jap one with a detachable headshell, such as I use, or the likes of an FR64, or just on your usual, is it, SME V? If not, then that would ably explain why you've never got on with it, as quite simply it won't work properly on that kind of arm.

For a 103 to sound right, the headshell alone has to be (min) 16g. It also sounds much better when used through an MM phono stage, together with either a head amp or an SUT, than through a standalone MC stage, hence why I've put so much effort into optimising the performance of those types of devices I use with it, the Lentek being a case in point.

However, I'm glad you're enjoying the SC35C, with your EAR, which I'm sure sounds fab. As you know, I'm a big fan of that cartridge, again when optimally set up and partnered - and IME it's as fussy in that respect as a 103! How did you get on with the NOS stylus you bought, and have you added any further capacitance, by experimenting with loading?

Marco.
    I've not done the high mass arm route and I really must start trying Jap stuff. Life's moving on and it's one of those areas that I keep promising myself that I must visit. I'm still on the SME V and now also a V-12 I have been tempted to try the FR64 but just never got around to purchasing one. The 103 did sound reasonable on my SME 3012 but I strongly suspect that I hadn't properly optimised it.

Now the SC35C is a different kettle of fish and as such I have optimised things further still. My capacitiance loading experiments are over as I feel I have reached optimum loading. The NOS stylus hasn't been out of the packet yet. I'm having far too much fun with the JICO SAS/s version which I strongly recommend. I have been experimenting in two other areas. Firstly with power supplies to the 301 and also with an Oscilloscope for improving stereo channel separation. I use a Phoenix Engineering PSU + Tachometer to control the 301 speed, it's a great product let down by lousy power SMPS supplies that introduce a lot of noise into the equation. This has driven my crazy over the last 3 months. I've now removed the SMPS products for the 9V battery supply and cheap linear regulated PSU from China. Now I have no hum and the soundstage is quite and both massive and glorious. The Oscilloscope is still a learning curve but does improve stereo channel separation. So, my next area's of experimentation and investment are going to be super low noise PSU's and a better valve phonostage.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    It looks so pretty now Anthony's finished with it!
    Lol - cheers, mate. He's a very neat worker

I did look into modding the Lentek, but from the point of view of the power supply i.e. the Battery. If I am to keep the Lentek I'd make it external, not that I expect any audible benefit from doing this, but it would make the process of changing the battery a lot more user friendly! This would then give the option to run multiple 9v batteries in parallel or better still a smart rechargeable 9v pack, which I would hope would offer an audible benefit due to the increased amperage, but even if it didn't it would mean extended battery life and a means to test battery power.
    Yup, makes sense, so if/when you go ahead with that project, I'd be interested in hearing the results. I'd defo keep the Lentek though, as long as you're retaining the services of your 103, as it's such a sonically synergistic partnership.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterD View Post
    I tried changing the battery for an external regulated PSU all I got was hum dunno why so reverted back to battery
    I think one of the reasons why the Lentek sounds good is because of the lack of mains-borne noise/interference, when amplifying such a delicate low-level signal. Battery power in that particular application therefore, for me, is the way to go

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I've not done the high mass arm route and I really must start trying Jap stuff. Life's moving on and it's one of those areas that I keep promising myself that I must visit. I'm still on the SME V and now also a V-12 I have been tempted to try the FR64 but just never got around to purchasing one. The 103 did sound reasonable on my SME 3012 but I strongly suspect that I hadn't properly optimised it.
    Yup, as do I... Given that you love the sound of the SC35C, I think you'd be equally enamoured by a fully-optimised 103, as both have similar traits

Now the SC35C is a different kettle of fish and as such I have optimised things further still. My capacitiance loading experiments are over as I feel I have reached optimum loading. The NOS stylus hasn't been out of the packet yet. I'm having far too much fun with the JICO SAS/s version which I strongly recommend. I have been experimenting in two other areas. Firstly with power supplies to the 301 and also with an Oscilloscope for improving stereo channel separation. I use a Phoenix Engineering PSU + Tachometer to control the 301 speed, it's a great product let down by lousy power SMPS supplies that introduce a lot of noise into the equation. This has driven my crazy over the last 3 months. I've now removed the SMPS products for the 9V battery supply and cheap linear regulated PSU from China. Now I have no hum and the soundstage is quite and both massive and glorious. The Oscilloscope is still a learning curve but does improve stereo channel separation. So, my next area's of experimentation and investment are going to be super low noise PSU's and a better valve phonostage.
    Interesting stuff... I've no doubt that you've improved matters in that area, as I'm no fan of noisy SMPS units, used in any audio application. Also, I've always preferred the 301 to a 401, and considered that if the former was properly fettled, it'd not be the latter's inferior brother - and also IMO is the better looking!

There are two idler T/Ts I'd love to own quality examples of, and that's a TD-124 and 301. In terms of the latter, I'd like an Audio Grail 'hammered grey' BBC one, and may well add one to my system at some point in future

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for such a prompt and detailed reply - much appreciated!

I take your point about the original output cables being a potential bottleneck; I have thought that might well be the case, especially as one of the phono connectors on mine is slightly temperamental. Is it relatively straightforward to change the cables and, if so, could you recommend cables that would be an improvement? I'm afraid any internal work on the Lentek would likely be beyond me - actually, it was the fact that you mentioned that you had outsourced the work that initially piqued my interest.

I agree that Duracells seem to be about the best match battery-wise. I was, though, very impressed with some Philips alkalines that I tried a few years ago - they were being sold in Poundland, and were the only batteries I've tried that I felt were (at least) a sonic match for the Duracells in the Lentek.

All the best

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast