+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding and modifying my Lentek head amp

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Frinpaul View Post
    Hi Marco,

Thanks for such a prompt and detailed reply - much appreciated!

I take your point about the original output cables being a potential bottleneck; I have thought that might well be the case, especially as one of the phono connectors on mine is slightly temperamental. Is it relatively straightforward to change the cables and, if so, could you recommend cables that would be an improvement? I'm afraid any internal work on the Lentek would likely be beyond me - actually, it was the fact that you mentioned that you had outsourced the work that initially piqued my interest.

I agree that Duracells seem to be about the best match battery-wise. I was, though, very impressed with some Philips alkalines that I tried a few years ago - they were being sold in Poundland, and were the only batteries I've tried that I felt were (at least) a sonic match for the Duracells in the Lentek.

All the best
    No worries, Paul, you're welcome. The rather 'flaky' nature of the stock connectors on the Lentek is well-known, but there wasn't much better around in the 80s! In terms of connectors, I'd use these copper ones from CMC, as they're very good quality and well priced:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/pho...a-sockets.html and in terms of cable, I used this Cardas Litz stuff, which is excellent. Keep the lengths as short as possible (just enough to reach the partnering kit, but with a bit of flexibility): https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...nect-wire.html

And as for phono plugs, the sky's your limit. I used these: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/pho...mony-plug.html but you could just as easily use the slightly less expensive copper versions, in order to maintain a solid-copper contact connection with the CMC sockets: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/pho...mony-plug.html

For me, you can easily hear the sonic improvements of solid-copper or silver plugs and connectors, over their brass counterparts. I also like the low-mass nature of the shells on the KLE Harmony plugs, as to reduce eddy currents, you want the least amount of metal on plugs as possible, and so contrary to what your instincts may tell you, in terms of getting 'value for money', the heavier and more solid the better is NOT the case...

You want light but rigid, low-mass, non-magnetic shells on phono plugs, where for best sound, the only metal used is in the conductors themselves!

In terms of upgrading the 'internals', should you wish to go there, I'm sure that Anthony would be more than willing to do the work for you, as he did for me, so just pop him a PM (anthonyTD) and it would simply be a case of sending the unit to him and agreeing the cost, in order to do what's necessary. Hope that helps

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the info and suggestions, much appreciated. I certainly think my little Lentek deserves some new cables and sockets!

Paul

Definitely, Paul. If you fit the items I've recommended, or similar, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the results! Let us know how you get on

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Hi Marco,

I was very interested to hear that low mass connectors are the way to go - I would have followed intuition and gone down the heavy/chunky route, so thanks for the heads-up on that. I must admit to a lot of prior scepticism when it comes to the sonic effect of cables and plugs, until I happened to change the turntable mains cable for something better (but not esoteric) that I had sitting around, and being very surprised at the improvement. More recently I have played around with speaker cables (having stuck with NAC A4 for 30+years!) and been very surprised by the sonically diverse results - so, I am now convinced that the smaller links in the chain do play a significant part in the overall result.

Kind Regards

Paul

I'm Josie.

How is this working out, Marco?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Tremendous, it's a different beast - and best I've ever heard a Lentek! More on that later

It's currently at Anthony's just getting some caps replaced we missed the last time, along with my headphone amp, being modified, which we discussed. So as soon as Anthony's done that and they're ready, we can sort out your Copper amp

ATB,
    Marco.
    Main System

I'm Josie.

Cool.. I'd be really interested in having the same done to mine too.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Just a small addendum to this thread... In the end, the initial reported 'rustling noise' wasn't due to the original carbon resistors going bad, as first thought, but rather one of the output transistors going noisy!

Even though the unit was sounding *massively* better, after the cap and resistor upgrades, the rustling noise was still present, so it was returned to Anthony to trace the fault, subsequently revealed as outlined.

Therefore, in order to preserve the sound of the unit, as much as possible, as generated by the existing transistors/output devices, we decided to source some NOS ones with the same values, which eventually were obtained from a supplier in Holland, and now the unit, other than some residual hiss, when no signal is present (which is normal) is completely silent and sounds stunning.

More on that shortly, including a summary of my overall observations on this project

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I have to say that it looks a LOT cleaner internally after the rebuild.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Andrew.

Nice to hear it's been sorted out. Should make for an interesting read when you post your thoughts.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast